The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Tuck Cast, Pile Cast Causing Tangles?

I started with a new technique for me: nymphing straight upstream with an indicator. To put slack in the line, I used tuck and pile casts. I got some terrible trangles. I'm wondering if they were the result of either cast.

I'm concerned especially with using a tuck cast, because if the fly bounces back too much that could easily cause a tangle, I think.

Any thoughts?

Randy
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tuck Cast, Pile Cast Causing Tangles?

Its possible, but I think its more likely that you're producing a tailing loop beforehand and that's causing the tangles.

Its easy to attempt a tuck cast and get a tailing loop because you need a hard stop to force the tuck, and this can lead to un-smooth application of power that produces a concave rod tip path.

Click the image to open in full size.

Focus on getting shorter tuck casts without tailing loops first, and gradually increase the distance you're going for. Try getting the tuck more via stopping the rod tip high than by changing your power application.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Big Cliff,

Great advice. Thanks so much.

P.S. Would I be better off using a pile cast?

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 07-15-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Big Cliff,

Great advice. Thanks so much.

P.S. Would I be better off using a pile cast?

Randy
I don't think so.

Pile/wiggle/bounce casts work much better for fishing dries or emergers downstream, while tuck casts are better for nymphing upstream because it both gets the weight into the water early and with force, and helps position the indicator further upstream relative to the fly.

What I would recommend is doing your nymphing upstream and across instead of directly upstream, as it allows you to spend much less time false casting and working more line back out, which can sure cause tangles.

Ideally, you'll do a tuck cast upstream and across and follow that with a reach to position the line upstream to prevent drag. Strip to take up excess line in as your indicator gets down to where you're at, and then start throwing little stack mends or wiggling line out (without moving the indicator, of course) to extend your drag free drift on down below you. At the end of your drift, send your back cast behind you perpendicular to the current and start the process over again.

That all sounds complex and tricky, but its the best way to keep your nymph drifting drag free as long as possible, and thus you should catch the most fish if you're putting it where they live.

Keep in mind that you generally don't need to be making any casts over 40' or maybe even 30' feet to make that work.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.