The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default What is your recommendation for a spring creek rod?

After having great times at spring creeks near Hermosa, I have been hooked on fishing spring creeks. I have used my 4 wt 9 foot rod, which for me was working just fine. Although some people may suggest that shorter rods such as 7 foot may work fine, I find that 9 foot rod was just fine and that I was able to role cast easily. But I want to learn more from some well seasoned anglers here about a spring creek specialty rod. I even watched a video where a angler was doing a type of sling shot style fishing. He was fulling his fly to bend his rod and shot the fly into a tight spot.

Anyway what is your favorite spring creek rod?
One of my friends was using 1 wt rod, but I am not sure if I want to go that extreme.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is your recommendation for a spring creek rod?

I just used my 1 wt TFO finesse for a couple days at the Rio Grande in CO.

I think a 3 wt is a better choice though, I did it just for kicks and it worked fine on the fish I was catching (8" - 14") in small pools in braided water.

Right now though I'm looking to buy a new Cortland Diamondback 7" 3t to use as my main small creek rod.

We can help each other out though if you are interested in a 7'6" TFO Pro + Reel + Line that I'm selling to fund my Diamondback.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I believe a 'specialty' rod is perhaps the rod in your hand while fishing. I fished Pennsylvania's' Spring Creek in Center County for many years using my 7' 9' Far & Fine #5. Then in 1995 I got myself a 9' 5 weight PM-10 and used that until I moved away in 2004. The 5 weight rods seemed perfect to me and they caught many fish.

On small creeks whether spring fed or freestone brooks I use a 6'6" bamboo 3 weight and can't Imagine a better rod for accurate casting in tight quarters. You could call the Flea a specialty rod because of its length and action. If you are currently using your 9' 4 weight and the creeks are at least 25 feet wide, your rod should be just fine. If the creeks are more narrow than 25' you may enjoy casting with a shorter rod a little more.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: What is your recommendation for a spring creek rod?

When I'm fishing tight places (or small waters) I break out my 4wt...all of 5'8". Mine is the "Classic UL" from Bass Pro Shops. They have a 6'9" that I might add someday.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

The first time I fly fished was on a small creek in the Sierras - my first cast caught a hungry little brookie on a dry, so I love small water.

My buddy built a one weight and I loved it so much I wanted to get one. He suggested a 3W because it is easier and less expensive to acquire line and reels. I went crazy and bought an Orvis Trout Bum 3W for $575. Later I bought a cheap Albright 3W so my gal could join me on small creeks. I ended up selling the Orvis because I like the Albright better! Both rods are 8'6" and work great for me. Albright's prices have gone up however.

In fact my picture is right on that very creek where it all started for me. I try to make a pilgrimage every summer.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 07-18-2011, 10:18 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

For my favorite spring creek I use my Sage RPL 590, a 5-weight, 9-footer, with a med/fast action. The spring I fish requires as long of casts as I can muster and I could never cast clear across it, yet it is a true spring creek. But, based on your post you seem to really be asking about a rod for smaller creeks, whether spring creek or freestone, where the casting opportunities are limited due to overhanging brush and such. I would then choose a shorter, lighter rod for such situations - 7-foot to 7 1/2 foot in a 3-wt or less. Just my opinion. Bamboo would be a great choice for a small creek and the smaller fish that live there.

Kelly.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My spring creek rods are an 8'3" 3 weight Sage SLT and a 9' 4 weight Sage ZXL. They cover spring creeks that are narrow and tight to ones that are wide and open.

I used to own a 2 weight, but I ended up selling it.

Dennis
Old 07-18-2011, 03:01 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a 4 wt or 5 wt, I would buy one of these Borger LT Fly rods. Retail was $300.00 before the closeout price. These are the rods I use when I fish my local Wisconins River. They are 4 pc rods that come with a spare tip, 5 pcs in total.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...eo8u585evs7p8h

Here's a photo of Gary casting the final version of the 8.5 ft 5 wt during devlopment.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

99% of the time I take my 7'10" 3wt and it is perfect for almost every small creek / river I fish. I do always throw my 7' 1wt on the backpack just in case there is no wind and a nice mayfly hatch hits.

Nothing more fun than a few dozen 10-12" brookies in an hour on a 1wt throwing dries.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM

bobbymojo is on a distinguished road

I have a St. Croix 7' 3/4 weight that I picked up for $100 a few years ago and I absolutely love the way it works on spring creeks.
The cast you were describing is called and bow and arrow cast and it is really effective in tight areas or trying to get under overhanging trees.

Best of luck to you.

Bob