The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A good scare this evening.

I was down at the river this evening casting clousers with my spey rod. It was a nice sunny evening with almost no wind and a tad on the warm side. Warm enough I decided I'd go with the hip waders and stay a little cooler. I had just cast across the river and was counting while my fly sank. I look up river and here comes this boat pulling a guy on water skis. I start thinking about a strategic withdrawal to shallower water to avoid his wake filling my waders. All of a sudden a Kingfisher lands on my rod between the stripping guides and starts squaking. I nearly jumped out of my waders and as a consequence, I yanked my rod out from under him. He lands face down, spread eagle in the water. Almost as fast as he went in he was back out and flying, squaking in protest. I'm pretty sure he was as scared as I was. I was actually surprised how fast he made it out and flying from his less than graceful entry into the water. I'll bet he won't make that mistake again. If he does, I hope I'm at least watching when he makes the approach.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A good scare this evening.

That's pretty crazy. Birds... I've had some hit my line while i was fishing but never had one land on my rod.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dan, You were probably thinking water skiers were a nuisance, and then a bird lands on your rod.... . Two Fridays ago, I was driving home from a job in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The driver's window was down, and a lot of ar funnels into it. I barely saw something out of the corner of my eye before I was hit in the head. I thought it might have been a bird, and it began wriggling and flapping down between the seat and my back. I pulled over, slammed on the brakes, and jumped out. It turned out to be a little finch, and was lying dead on the seat at that point. Birds!!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thats a crazy story... Thanks for sharing Dan, that would have been great to see on video.

I've had birds flie at my flies, but never land on my rod.

When I owned the Mazda Miata that I had set up for Autcross racing and Track Days I was driving it about 80 mpg one day on one of my favorite roads for that vehicle with my top down. When apparently a flock of birds had flown by and they all must have pooped at the same time...no thank goodness nothing came in the cockpit, but it covered every inch of my windshield. I had to drive to the nearest gas station slowly with my head sticking out the side of the vehicle.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I wish our King Fishers were that tame, then I could get a decent picture I've been trying to get a real close up of one for more years than I could state and they just don't stand by while I approach. When I have had one land close it always takes off while I am trying to get hold of my camera. Pretty cool to have one land on the rod

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan, Frank and Tom: Great stories, thanks for sharing!

Larry

Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine was driving when a buzzard came swooping down for a rabbit carcass and hit the windshield right in front of the steering wheel. The buzzard came halfway thru the windshield and puked his guts out all over my friend. Before the car came to a stop he himself had already puked his guts out as well.

Had to sell the car as he could never get the smell out.

Dave
Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
It turned out to be a little finch, and was lying dead on the seat at that point. Birds!!!!
Wow! Lucky it didn't beak you in the eye! Mine at least survived. I'm pretty sure I'm good to go in the heart attack department for a while. If that didn't give me one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
The buzzard came halfway thru the windshield and puked his guts out all over my friend. Before the car came to a stop he himself had already puked his guts out as well.

Dave
That's horrible! What do you say to that one?

Good stories everyone.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it might be Muskrat vs. Dan II! You have a way with wildlife Dan, just stay away from wolves and bears! milt.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

He must have known that you were after his fish. You didn't see the other one. You know the one that he told "hey watch this"