New use for duct tape!

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
On my recent trip to AK for King salmon, I had a problem with my sink tip line. After a couple of days the outer coating split at the hinge where the sink tip began. It would hang up going out through the guides. Okay so here I am miles from the nearest fly shop with a bum line!:eek What to do?
Well, you guessed it, I carefully wrapped duct tape exactly one time around the line with no overlap. It worked fine for the next 5 days and I landed around 9 Kings using it!:D

caseywise

Reaction score
lol...being born and raised in ak, i've used duct for everything from eye securing to wound sutures. its a great item to have in the car at all times.
it is a wonderful product

casey

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It is very useful and I can't begin to list the many applications I've had for it. By the way, you had an especially good run of it catching that many King salmon. I live here and worked them hard so getting that many in a few days is outstanding. Nine is a good season for me.

Ard

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
actually, in seven days (8 hours a day) I hooked between 40 and 50 and managed to land 17. #2 weighted articulated bunnies in black and fuchsia worked the best, but perhaps that was because those colors were what I fished the most. Confidence has so much to do with things!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Bigdog2421: Great idea using duct tape to fix your sinktip! Congrats on a great fishing trip to AK!

Larry

hillbilly rick

Reaction score
Bigdog,
You might be a hillbilly too. We keep duct tape in every room, vehicle, toolbox and in the shop. My grandson ran out of bait and put a strip of duct tape on a hook and caught an 8lb. L/mouth bass, and he was only 5. Great fishin' trip. Sounds like you had a blast.
Rick

caseywise

Reaction score
Bigdog,
You might be a hillbilly too. We keep duct tape in every room, vehicle, toolbox and in the shop. My grandson ran out of bait and put a strip of duct tape on a hook and caught an 8lb. L/mouth bass, and he was only 5. Great fishin' trip. Sounds like you had a blast.
Rick

a "duct tape" pattern then??:D:D

casey

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow!

If you had 50 King Salmon hit a fly in one week then you had more takes in a week than I've had from kings in the eight years I've lived here. That was some trip for sure, I've only recorded 18 fish taken in all those years but I'm not sure how many smokers I've released. This year was a good one, even I was able to C&R 6 of them and I kept 3.

Congratulations,

Ard

caseywise

Reaction score
touching 50 kings in a week is almost unbelievable, never caught that many in 15 years+ growing up in ak. but congrats all the same.

casey

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
That duct tape on a hook reminded me of a solution for forgetting the pork rind on a pike fishing trip. Strips cut from a white plastic grocery bag work even better!
Now that I have remembered this, they might work really well as a tail on a white wooly bugger!
Anybody have any brown plastic bags? How about some black ones?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi BigDog,

Why don't you give us a report on your trip.

When I lived in Alaska there was always bailing wire, Goop and duct tape in the bush kit.

Frank