The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   New use for duct tape! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/162479-new-use-duct-tape.html)

FlyFlinger2421 07-19-2011 12:31 AM

New use for duct tape!

On my recent trip to AK for King salmon, I had a problem with my sink tip line. After a couple of days the outer coating split at the hinge where the sink tip began. It would hang up going out through the guides. Okay so here I am miles from the nearest fly shop with a bum line!:eek What to do?
Well, you guessed it, I carefully wrapped duct tape exactly one time around the line with no overlap. It worked fine for the next 5 days and I landed around 9 Kings using it!:D

MoscaPescador 07-19-2011 12:52 AM

Re: New use for duct tape!

Duct tape is the wonder-fix-it-all.

caseywise 07-19-2011 01:00 AM

lol...being born and raised in ak, i've used duct for everything from eye securing to wound sutures. its a great item to have in the car at all times.
it is a wonderful product

casey

sartana 07-19-2011 01:02 AM

Right on Red Green would approve!:D

Hardyreels 07-19-2011 03:11 PM

It is very useful and I can't begin to list the many applications I've had for it. By the way, you had an especially good run of it catching that many King salmon. I live here and worked them hard so getting that many in a few days is outstanding. Nine is a good season for me.

Ard

FlyFlinger2421 07-19-2011 08:42 PM

actually, in seven days (8 hours a day) I hooked between 40 and 50 and managed to land 17. #2 weighted articulated bunnies in black and fuchsia worked the best, but perhaps that was because those colors were what I fished the most. Confidence has so much to do with things!

Guest1 07-19-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sartana (Post 288390)
Right on Red Green would approve!:D

The handy man's secret weapon, cause if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.

mcnerney 07-19-2011 10:24 PM

Bigdog2421: Great idea using duct tape to fix your sinktip! Congrats on a great fishing trip to AK!

Larry

hillbilly rick 07-19-2011 11:25 PM

Bigdog,
You might be a hillbilly too. We keep duct tape in every room, vehicle, toolbox and in the shop. My grandson ran out of bait and put a strip of duct tape on a hook and caught an 8lb. L/mouth bass, and he was only 5. Great fishin' trip. Sounds like you had a blast.
Rick

caseywise 07-19-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly rick (Post 288827)
Bigdog,
You might be a hillbilly too. We keep duct tape in every room, vehicle, toolbox and in the shop. My grandson ran out of bait and put a strip of duct tape on a hook and caught an 8lb. L/mouth bass, and he was only 5. Great fishin' trip. Sounds like you had a blast.
Rick

a "duct tape" pattern then??:D:D

casey