The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default New use for duct tape!

On my recent trip to AK for King salmon, I had a problem with my sink tip line. After a couple of days the outer coating split at the hinge where the sink tip began. It would hang up going out through the guides. Okay so here I am miles from the nearest fly shop with a bum line!:eek What to do?
Well, you guessed it, I carefully wrapped duct tape exactly one time around the line with no overlap. It worked fine for the next 5 days and I landed around 9 Kings using it!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New use for duct tape!

Duct tape is the wonder-fix-it-all.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

lol...being born and raised in ak, i've used duct for everything from eye securing to wound sutures. its a great item to have in the car at all times.
it is a wonderful product

casey

ARFE
Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 AM

sartana is on a distinguished road

Right on Red Green would approve!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It is very useful and I can't begin to list the many applications I've had for it. By the way, you had an especially good run of it catching that many King salmon. I live here and worked them hard so getting that many in a few days is outstanding. Nine is a good season for me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2011, 08:42 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

actually, in seven days (8 hours a day) I hooked between 40 and 50 and managed to land 17. #2 weighted articulated bunnies in black and fuchsia worked the best, but perhaps that was because those colors were what I fished the most. Confidence has so much to do with things!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartana View Post
Right on Red Green would approve!
The handy man's secret weapon, cause if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bigdog2421: Great idea using duct tape to fix your sinktip! Congrats on a great fishing trip to AK!

Larry

Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road

Bigdog,
You might be a hillbilly too. We keep duct tape in every room, vehicle, toolbox and in the shop. My grandson ran out of bait and put a strip of duct tape on a hook and caught an 8lb. L/mouth bass, and he was only 5. Great fishin' trip. Sounds like you had a blast.
Rick
Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly rick View Post
Bigdog,
You might be a hillbilly too. We keep duct tape in every room, vehicle, toolbox and in the shop. My grandson ran out of bait and put a strip of duct tape on a hook and caught an 8lb. L/mouth bass, and he was only 5. Great fishin' trip. Sounds like you had a blast.
Rick

a "duct tape" pattern then??

casey

ARFE