The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 11:40 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough
Default hi all, got a few questions

Hi all. I am new here (1st post) and have a bunch of questions. But I will just start with a few. Fisrt let me tell you a little about me. I have been flyfishing a few times. Got hooked when I caught my first fish doing it about a year ago. I mainly catch bluegill, crappie, and small bass (under 1 foot in lenght). I have just a cheap rod and reel, but they got me started. So I am looking for a rod recommendation, line recommendation, and leader recommendation. I will mainly be using it for small bass, sunfish, trout, and crappie. I fish with mainly dry flies, such as poppers, and dragon flys. I am not the best caster. I am good for about 25 feet overhead and another 10 roll casting. i catch most my fish with in 15 feet. I fish a lot of cover.

rod-I need to know a lenght and weight
line- what type
leader-?

Thanks, Zak
Old 01-15-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: hi all, got a few questions

I did take a look at my rod I have now. It is a Penn (Brand) 8 foot weight 6/7
and has a martin reel. I sopose that the reel will be fine, but how about the rod. Should I keep this rod/reel for the larger fish and get a new rod/reel for the smaller fish. Like a 4/5 wt rod?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:57 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Well, catching those size fish it sounds like a 4Wt or even a 5wt would be a hoot. Fishing a lot of cover like you said, you may want to lean towards a 5/6 wt with a heavy leader (4X, 3X). On the reel, your drag system is the most important part. You want a good disk drag that has a smooth start up when the fish starts pulling out line. That makes the difference between poping off flies and catching fish.

For 2 years I fished my cortland combo I started with. You don't need expensive gear. There is a lot of good equipment out there at good prices.
Good luck! Hope this helps.

Mitch
Old 01-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
I did take a look at my rod I have now. It is a Penn (Brand) 8 foot weight 6/7and has a martin reel. I sopose that the reel will be fine, but how about the rod. Should I keep this rod/reel for the larger fish and get a new rod/reel for the smaller fish. Like a 4/5 wt rod?
Hi Zak,

There are so many good rods out there that you should be able to find something to meet your requirements. To help you we need to know what is the budget for a rod. I think that your present rod will do for bass poppers and the bigger flies. A 5wt would serve you for the pan fish and trout. I suggest you consider a 9' length. If you don't like your present rod you might consider a 6wt instead of the 5wt. You should be getting more than 25 feet with your rod. Either it is a poor rod or you need to improve you casting. You might consider one of the casting videos or DVD. Of course even after you become proficient with you casting most of your fish will still be caught under 35 feet.

Frank
Old 01-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Frank, a nine foot six weight would be a great warm water stick.
Plus you will be able to throw bigger flies and retrieve through weeds (tippet strength matched of course)
Old 01-15-2007, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the replys. 25 foot is an average. sometimes I can get it out pretty far. I have not been doing it very long, so i know I need improvement. For a budget I could probably use lets say $200 for a rod. Here in southeast AZ the Bass can be pretty hard sometimes, mainly in the summer that is why I fish for a lot of sunfish. Trout is only seasonal here from about october to feburary, unless I drive about 5 hours in to the mountians. What about line. What is a good floating line? (Brand)

Thanks, Zak
Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Hey Zak, I also live in AZ, Phoenix area to be specific. There are quite a few members on this board from Arizona. I have caught many bass on the fly rod using anything from my 9 foot 4 wt up to my 9 1/2 foot 8 wt and everything in between. A 9 foot 6 wt would be a good start. Some of the bigger bass bugs are difficult to throw with a 4 wt. For $200 you can get an excellent setup. For the smaller bass, trout and sunfish a 9 foot 5 wt would be good. Each person on the board responding will give you different information. Absorb it all, get what you think is best and have fun.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
Thanks for the replys. 25 foot is an average. sometimes I can get it out pretty far. I have not been doing it very long, so i know I need improvement. For a budget I could probably use lets say $200 for a rod. Here in southeast AZ the Bass can be pretty hard sometimes, mainly in the summer that is why I fish for a lot of sunfish. Trout is only seasonal here from about october to feburary, unless I drive about 5 hours in to the mountians. What about line. What is a good floating line? (Brand)Thanks, Zak
Hi Zak,

For $200 you can get a pretty good rod. Take a look at the Temple Fork "Professional" series. A 9', 6wt, 4pcs runs $165 with a case. Another choice would be the Orvis "Clearwater" that will run $179. Redington also makes some rods in your price range. I have not cast the Orvis but would expect them to be good rods. I would use a Scientific Anglers "Mastery GPX" line. It is slightly over lined and is a great all around line. Should work well for your application.

Have you ever fished Lee's Ferry? Some great trout fishing there.

Frank
Old 01-16-2007, 11:30 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I tend to agree with most everyone else, almost. You willfind that that there can be many options on what you chooseto buy & use. Visit a local fly shop, talk to them as well ashere on this site.If you are fishing for panfish & smaller bass I would recommenda decent 9' 5wt rod/reel combo. With that small of fish I do notuse the reel to land the fish & I do not believe you need aupscale reel. Why spend the money on a reel (let's say more than$100) if you don't have the need to use some upscale dragsystem to land the fish. I'd rather not, but again everyone'sopinion is their own. Check with Steve at The Full Creel (startedthis website) I'm sure he could set you up.I love catching bluegill on a fly rod. I have a 8'6" 3wt outfit justfor that purpose that I got thru Cabela's. I guess my best adviceis to do some research before you buy. If you are not sure aboutwhether or not you'll like it I'd buy a lower priced outfit. You canalways upgrade later if you desire.Enjoy,Tie One On
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is giving great advise. I too have caught Bluegill on a 3wt, but I have been fly fishing half my life (and I could open a store with my stash LOL)
With you being new to the FF way of life, and the species you will be targeting and the flies you will be supplying, I am still going with the longer 6wt. A little tougher built rod to take the learning process.
Check out Cabela's Genisis package. Great price and it gives you everything! (even some flies)
I know a couple of guys that has bought this set up and enjoy it very much.
There doesn't seem to be a warranty so to speak, but you know Cabela's ;-)