The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 PM

TAT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: favorite fly box?

Flambeau Blue Ribbon. Discovered these last year. Double sided, clear covers, vertical friction foam to grip the flies.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

Honestly, I LOVE Orvis compartment fly boxes. I love that I can change the size of the compartments, easy to see through, and rubber o ring sealed for water resistance. They're simple, don't cost much, durable, doesnt crush dries, dont worry about torn foam, etc etc

Only thing I own that's Orvis, but I own a lot of them.

PS. Just make sure not to tip them while on the stream. Hasn't happened yet, knock on wood....
Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Morrell boxes. weigh nothing
I'm with Okuma on Morrell fly boxes. They are the lightest you'll find, and they float, with a magnetic closure that can be opened one-handed. Since they're foam, it's not too difficult to tie a lanyard to them in case you drop them.

I also like the Cliff's Days Worth for my smaller nymphs and midges. One side has six magnetically-floored compartments, which work great for tiny flies, particularly on a windy day.

My third favorite box is the C&F Midge, which comes with threaders that are extremely helpful with these tiny flies.

The Scientific Anglers double-sided box is well designed, but too bulky for my vest. In fact, I've got one I've never used for that reason (but maybe if I lost some weight, it would ).

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 07-26-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Took out invitation for PM if someone wanted to buy.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know where you can purchase sheets of ripple foam and make your own boxes?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:28 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Ripple Foam Fly Box Refills

Rick
Old 11-28-2011, 05:35 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Cliff Outdoors Super Days Worth is an excellent box for carrying a variety of flies. Like they say, Midges, Meat, and Mayflies all in one box! Everything you need in one place.

Cliff Outdoors - The Super Days Worth
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Traveling light as on small streams where I know exactly what to have with =

A little old Orvis clear plastic compartment box for dry flies, very small & light

Nymphs in one of those tiny cloth fold up snap wallets that Orvis gave away with their weighted nymph selection in the 90's

Streamers in a small wax cotton Battenkill wallet by the same company.

On a long trip or when traveling by boat I carry an old Timber Doodle duffel bag full of fly boxes in the truck or boat, too many to try to pick favorites.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

These are my two favorite boxes. The first one was given to me by my dad. I blame him 100% for my addiction to fly fishing. The second one I like because it floats, its practical and functional.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Several companies make the foam boxes with magnetic closure, and ripple foam interior. They float...nuff said.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM

likkitysplit is on a distinguished road

As you can see everyone has a preference and that preference has no common ground.

So I recommend you ask yourself a couple of questions and then look at everyones pictures and do some investigating on your own.

One, Are your fingers on the big side or small side. the boxes with slit foam puts the flies very close together.

Two, When your hands are cold - how well can you feel and manipulate the flies you tie on your tippet. Pick boxes that you can easily retrieve your flies from and put your flies up. Is having it tied to you a concern - else it can fall out of a pocket and be gone forever.

Three, Are the flies you fish with on the larger side or smaller side. I fish with files that range from size 20 to size 4 hooks, the midges and streamers reside in separate boxes. Soft hackles sowbugs and midges reside in an Orvis box in little bins in mixed groups - I dig around to find the one I want. You may be an organization person and want all your flies in organized rows - digging around may be unacceptable to you the style needs to fit your personality.

Four, if you are going to keep up with multiple boxes on the stream what are your size limits on carrying these boxes on stream. Where are you going to carry them. I use an over the shoulder bag that I swing to the back when not in use to hold boxes I am not using.

So look at what the pictures represent, evaluate what you want the box to do for you, go and touch the ones that interest you.

Just as a note - I hate the wheatley's with the clips and the spring doors. As you can see they look very cool and it's a very popular box. I gave mine away to kids on the river that needed some type of fly box. They were very happy and I was happy for them. But I was never going to use them again.

I like the little Flambeu's for midges - the cliffs bugger barn for buggers, and the Orvis box with spring doors, for nyphms, softhackles, sowbugs, etc. your preferences will be uniquely your own. There isn't a single perfect box.