The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Initial Impressions of Flyfishing

We have a thread here called "The Worlds Best Fly Fishing & You" here's the link.

The Worlds Best Fishing & You

I've been around trout most of my life but I wrote this a year or so ago and it sounds like it was for you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I can't believe I'm getting myself sucked into this conversation yet again with you Robert. How many websites and times have you posted pretty much the same thing over the years? You still have the knack of sounding gentle and innocent while putting down those who fly fish differently than you... be it with different gear, for different fish or mainly for different reasons.
Car and Drive and Automoble magazines tend to highlight exotic, ultra expensive automobiles that basically get you from one place to another. Do you feel intimidated driving whatever it is you drive because of that?
Me thinks you should simply go out and fly fish however you like and not worry about how others choose to enjoy the sport.
Just saying... if the person holding the stubby end of the fly rod is grinning, they're more than likely doing it right.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Initial Impressions of Flyfishing

Jackster,

With all due respect, I did not request that you reply to my thread. You are more than welcome to participate, my friend. I am still learning about flyfishing.

Other forum members have enjoyed this thread, and I am glad that many mirror my thoughts concerning the subject.

You became upset when I mentioned the advice that "experts" give. How many articles and chapters from books have I read about advice given from these "experts?" Much of this advice is simply "opinions."

Here's some advice from the "experts": use a 9ft for for lake fishing. I'm sorry, but I prefer shorter rods, and a 7 or 7 1/2 ft rod works great for me. How many times has my right thumb bled from "thumbing" a largemouth bass while using a 4wt, instead of the 7wt-9wt recommended by the same folks? The experts have recommended that I use a tippet...after a dozen years of using "quik snaps", I may use a tippet to cast small flies. Througout the years, I have caught plenty of fish without a tippet. How many of us have been taught to cast between the 10 and 2 position? I'm no certified casting instructor, but I've given basic casting demonstrations and given casting lessons.

I don't put down others that flyfish differently from me. While flyfishing, I once met a flyfisher casting live crickets; We greeted each other, and then he paddled away. I once considered the idea of using a Spey rod for panfish and bass. I don't wear a wading jacket, carry a net on my back, or cast bamboo rods...I won't condemn others that do.

I started this thread to share my initial thoughts concerning flyfishing. I've learned throughout the years that I don't need to purchase items advertised in a flyfishing magazine to enjoy flyfishing. Keeping an open mind, discerning advice given to me, and learning have greatly enhanced my pursuit of flyfishing. I've learned plenty and I will continue to learn.

I haven't flyfished lately due to the uncomfortable weather.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-25-2011, 01:19 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

this is one of the topics that i tend to avoid... this and "casting distance" topics.

BUT I'M TIRED OF HIDING IN THE SHADOWS. I'M TIRED OF FEELING LIKE THE ODD MAN OUT. I'M TIRED OF WALKING INTO A ROOM FILLED WITH JOVIAL FLY FISHERMEN WHEN THE GABFEST IS SUDDENLY HALTED BY A "SPEAK OF THE DEVIL" SILENCE WHEN THEY NOTICE ME IN MY $500 SIMMS G4 PRO JACKET THAT I WEAR EVEN WHEN I'M NOT FISHING. I'M TIRED TIRED TIRED!

my most expensive outfit cost over $1300 (rod, reel & extra spool, line for each spool)... my least expensive is about $200...i own 5 other outfits (most of which are being used by my brothers).... my chest pack costs more than the clothes (including shoes) that i wear to work each day. my waist pack is made by the same company that makes my chest pack and costs $10 less which baffles me because it's a newer model and holds more stuff. i don't tie flies. i buy them....lots and lots of them. if i drop a fly box in the water and it gets swept away by the current, it's bye bye at least $300, not including the $40 box. i own four fully stocked fly boxes (dries, nymphs, big uglies & streamers, pike & bass junk). my landing net i bought for 30% off...$66 was a sweet deal.

this will be my first and last post in this thread. if you want to find me, i'll be at the local brewery with a pint of IPA. i'll buy you a round and we can talk about streamflows, water temperature, recent and upcoming hatches, and maybe even trade some flies too (if you don't mind the fact that mine are fly-shop-bought at $2 a piece...and that's for dry flies and nymphs).

good day!

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

also, I LOVE TROUT. AND THEY LOVE ME!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

You're not the odd man out, o mykiss. Reputation points added to you and Jackster for standing up to this. I'll post a pic of my new Abel TR3 reels when they get here at the end of the week.

I'll let Ferris Bueller say the rest....
Old 07-25-2011, 05:06 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

frankb2 abel's tr is a fine reel.... there's nothing like the thrill of catching fish on a click pawl drag reel. is the tr 3 still click pawl?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM

damod is on a distinguished road

I know exactly what you mean.. I started fly fishing when I was only 11 years old. I lived on my grandparents property and we had a small creek that led into a local fishery running through our back yard.

I started with a piece of junk fiberglass rod (not saying they are all junk just saying this one definitely was.) and an old beat up Shakespeare wonder reel automatic and just a handful of flies.

I would fish that creek every day and always had a decent day of fishing.

The point is the fish didn't care that I was fishing with what was probably $20 (or less) in fly gear.. They didn't care how old I was... All they cared about was that my bug looks yummy it's teasing them with its intermittent twitches...
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I happen to like these kinda threads and feel that they're important. Especially on a forum like this one where there are so many newbies and lurkers thinking that they might like to begin fly fishing, but are not sure what they really need.
It can be intimidating reading about fishing outfits that might cost more than their car.
People need to understand that to just get started in fly fishing, you don't necessarily need to lay out big $$$$.$$
There are good, affordable rods and reels. You can get decent waders from a catalog store. You don't need to dress to impress (the fish). Nail clippers work as well as "official" nippers and you don't need a vest or chestpack when you have pockets.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I'm with Mr Mykiss.
Although I started with a $25.00 spin/fly rod, and a REALLY cheap reel (Brand withheld to prevent bickering.).
I'm not going back to that noodle....or a reel without a real drag.
I've said before, I'll skip a meal or two, even sell some gear or get another job, to fish upper-end gear..
It's not necessary to catch fish, of course. Nor should you throw down serious $$$$ just to fit in.
But an appreciation for a fine tool is OK.
Whether it's a jacket that keeps you dry, or a net that's kinder to fish.
Personally it took 37+ years to get to this point, but good gear is here to stay.
Whenever a client says, that it was easier fishing with my gear, than their own, I just nod my head.

Jim
Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Initial Impressions of Flyfishing

Thanks Rip Tide,

I was simply reflecting on my personal experiences, and I hope that the newbie will understand that there is more selection in equipment than what magazines offer. I only mentioned one person: me.

Yes, I too believe these topics are important.

BigFly,

From my perspective, the flyfishing magazines were conveying the idea that to flyfish, you need the high end gear. Remember, this was before I handled a flyrod or saw a flyline. Gear preference is a personal thing. I saw plenty of Ross and Abel reels, but never a Pflueger Medalist or cast aluminum reel. I never saw a Cabela's Three Forks rod or a flyrod sold from Gander Mountain. People wore expensive clothing and toted high end gear.

I have noticed in the last few years that Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's have advertisements and product evaluations in the very same magazines today. Why weren't they in the magazines back then? Were the magazines only concerned with selling expensive gear that promoted the image of flyfishing?

I just feel that the very same magazines that were in the business of promoting flyfishing were turning people off by suggesting that high end gear= flyfishing. Are flyfishing magazines conveying the impression that flyfishing is considered a "speciality" style of fishing...and trying to attract a select group of people?

Use what gear turns you on & what you can afford. To me, those flyfishing magazines tried to paint a picture showing people that you were not with the "in crowd" unless you dressed and played the part. Yes, these were my initial impressions of flyfishing.

Cheers,

Robert

Last edited by ncflyboy; 07-26-2011 at 02:37 PM.