The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 AM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

Ard,

Thank you for sharing the view from the guide's perspective. I have never met a guide, so your post was educational.

I have heard stories where some guides believe they are entitled to have control over certain sections of public water. I see these people as nothing more than "fish hogs" and try to keep the fishing for themselves and their clients. I have as much respect for these guides as I do for the jet skiers and wakeboarders that travel within 100 ft of me. The folks in the bass boats are far more courteous.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
Ard,

Thank you for sharing the view from the guide's perspective. I have never met a guide, so your post was educational.

I have heard stories where some guides believe they are entitled to have control over certain sections of public water. I see these people as nothing more than "fish hogs" and try to keep the fishing for themselves and their clients. I have as much respect for these guides as I do for the jet skiers and wakeboarders that travel within 100 ft of me. The folks in the bass boats are far more courteous.

Cheers,

Robert
a couple of the guides here i bump into all the time in the parking lot and theyll give me good feedback about how the day was. but id say 80-90% of the ones i ask about what flies worked or how it was (i usually ask anyone/everyone in the parkinglot) i get "its alright i used a little bit of everthing" then they hurry off. wtf is wrong with these guys? why does it matter if they help me figure out whats working? its not like im asking for their spots, rigs, and some flies. another thing they do here is push you out of your spot. they will get about 20ft away from you and slowly creep till they are about 5ft away then have their client cast where your trying to cast its annoying and i know one of these days im gonna loose it, but if that guide is desperate enough for that spot then whatever ill pick my line out of the water and go find some more fish. i dont mind sharing a spot or giving it up if you ask me, but just moving in and pushing me out? they can get ****ed they fished this stream probably for 5-10 years min. ive fished it for 3 months they should be the ones going to a new spot
Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Smile Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

Hi Mac,

There isn't a fish out there worth fighting over. You never really know how some people will react when confronted.

If possible, seek permission to fish private water. I have had similar situations as yours, and I'm grateful I can visit places that are not available to the general public.

In the slow fishing periods, scout for new waters.

I hope you are able to obtain permission to fish private water.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I am beginning to wonder what is the purpose of this post? It appears to be a constant ever so slight attempt to stir the pot.

Dave
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I am beginning to wonder what is the purpose of this post? It appears to be a constant ever so slight attempt to stir the pot.

Dave
Ya think?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM

Post Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post

Dave
Hi Dave,

I'm just trying to understand the folks that chase trout on flygear. The trout crowd has their way of doing things I've never seen the bass, pike, catfish, or panfish crowd do.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Dave,

I'm just trying to understand the folks that chase trout on flygear. The trout crowd has their way of doing things I've never seen the bass, pike, catfish, or panfish crowd do.

Cheers,

Robert
You mean I have join a crowd? milt.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Cheers,

Robert
What's there to understand?
Fly fishing for bass, pike, catfish and panfish came way long after trout were targeted. Do some reading. Go to your library and check out fly fishing books. 90% are written about trout. It goes back to the 1600's. Serious fly fishing for bass and other warmwater species started in our lifetime.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Mojo,

I ask these questions because the books failed to address these points. I've even ventured at library books dated from the 1930's and 1940's.

I've seen chapters dedicated to chasing bass with a flyrod...from the 1950's. There were hardcore bass anglers armed with a flyrod, but not many.

It seems to me that there is political correctness in today's flyfishing....it's taboo to "lip" a trout, carry a creel, and the like. Phoey...it's still fishing!

I ask because there are people here who chase trout and may have the answers. Life is a learning process and I plan to keep on learning!

Cheers,

Robert