The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
Mojo,

I ask these questions because the books failed to address these points. I've even ventured at library books dated from the 1930's and 1940's.

I've seen chapters dedicated to chasing bass with a flyrod...from the 1950's. There were hardcore bass anglers armed with a flyrod, but not many.

It seems to me that there is political correctness in today's flyfishing....it's taboo to "lip" a trout, carry a creel, and the like. Phoey...it's still fishing!

I ask because there are people here who chase trout and may have the answers. Life is a learning process and I plan to keep on learning!

Cheers,

Robert
I think the PC is in your head. It's not "taboo to lip a trout. It's just not a good idea and it could physically harm the fish. A trout's jaw isn't like a largemouth bass'. Common sense will tell most people how to hold a fish correctly. You mention you've never fished for trout, am I correct?
And carrying a creel. Who cares if you carry one. If you want to keep fish and where you are fishing allows it, keep it. If someone has a problem with it, or you carry a creel, so what. Do they sign your paycheck, cook your meals or go to bed with you? It's none of their business. And if you can't stand up to them for it, I suggest you don't carry a creel or take fish home.
And if you want to keep learning, ask relevant questions or just read others questions and their answers.

Now, lets go back to your first post.
Here's part of it
Why do some flyfishers hold the flyrod in their mouth while posing with their catch?
I've seen places they can rest their gear that won't damage it.
Why do some people ask these kind of questions?
Does it really matter if a guy holds a rod in his mouth while a picture is being taken? Personally I don't care one way or another. It's not on my list of important moments in history and I could care less. And it's not an relevant question.
Why so some people reel with their right hand and not their left?
Why do some people refuse to remove a fish from the water?
Why take it out of the water if not needed? Using barbless hooks or crimped down hooks there's no need to.
Why do some people struggle to unhook a fish swimming around in a net? They refuse to grab the fish to remove the hook.
Again, who struggles, who cares?
Why do people allow a trout to lay on top of their hands, never consider the possibility that the fish may flop and hit the rocks below?
I've never laid a trout on top of my hands, and I've never seen anyone else do it either. Because most of the time I bring it in close and let it go. Others might grab it, but who cares.
I saw where a guide told the client not to touch the fish and not to remove the fish from the water. Wait a minute...it's not the guide's fish.
You saw this where, and why didn't you ask the guide that question?

Now you ask these questions because the books failed to address these points.
Because they're moot points, and they don't matter.
Why is it a TV personality bass fisherman will hold the bass out of the water, lip gripping it for what seems like 15 minutes talking into the camera and joking with the audience and telling his boring story of the 20 second fight the bass put up, and then proceeds to chuck the fish back into the water.
Just because that fish swims away, and the lactic acid build up from the fight, that fish is in danger of dying for the next 24 hours.
Fish are a resource that shouldn't be taken lightly. Especially trout. Some people say trout are tougher than we think. Ask a biologist. Contact Idaho, Montana or Utah biologists for these answers.
Trout are cold water fish and when water is more than 68, they have a harder time recovering from the fight.
You want to know more about trout fishing. Go trout fishing.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Mojo, want a job in our complaint department.

Dave
Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

MOJO,

I caught my first trout around 1976...I was 11 then. I caught it on a Mepps spinner. After that, I caught a few as a teen while targeting smallmouth bass. I never chased trout...they didn't seem to turn me on.

These questions may seem moot to you, but not me...I've actually caught the fish in question, and I fail to see the fragility of trout. People worship largemouth bass; I've caught hundreds in my life and fail to see what all the hype is about those fish too.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-28-2011, 03:44 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I never chased trout...they didn't seem to turn me on.

People worship largemouth bass; I've caught hundreds in my life and fail to see what all the hype is about those fish too.

cheers!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

BUT I'M TIRED OF HIDING IN THE SHADOWS. I'M TIRED OF FEELING LIKE THE ODD MAN OUT. I'M TIRED OF WALKING INTO A ROOM FILLED WITH JOVIAL FLY FISHERMEN WHEN THE GABFEST IS SUDDENLY HALTED BY A "SPEAK OF THE DEVIL" SILENCE WHEN THEY NOTICE ME IN MY $500 SIMMS G4 PRO JACKET THAT I WEAR EVEN WHEN I'M NOT FISHING. I'M TIRED TIRED TIRED!

Arrogance: Characterized by or proceeding from overbearing superiority or self importance. (Webster's Dictionary).

If you feel like the odd man out, simply remove your jacket.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-28-2011, 05:26 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

meh....
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
MOJO,

I caught my first trout around 1976...I was 11 then. I caught it on a Mepps spinner. After that, I caught a few as a teen while targeting smallmouth bass. I never chased trout...they didn't seem to turn me on.

These questions may seem moot to you, but not me...I've actually caught the fish in question, and I fail to see the fragility of trout. People worship largemouth bass; I've caught hundreds in my life and fail to see what all the hype is about those fish too.

Cheers,

Robert
Then I guess you never will.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 PM

manderson2228 is on a distinguished road

The one thing i'll never understand, is how to catch the fish!!