The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 02:26 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Post Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

Here are a few observations I have made about flyfishing and trout. These events are taken from photos, fishing shows, and magazines.

Why do some flyfishers hold the flyrod in their mouth while posing with their catch?
I've seen places they can rest their gear that won't damage it.

Why do some people refuse to remove a fish from the water?

Why do some people struggle to unhook a fish swimming around in a net? They refuse to grab the fish to remove the hook.

Why do people allow a trout to lay on top of their hands, never consider the possibility that the fish may flop and hit the rocks below?

I saw where a guide told the client not to touch the fish and not to remove the fish from the water. Wait a minute...it's not the guide's fish.

I really don't get it. We enter the territory the fish live in. We step on fish eggs. We intentionally deceive fish by throwing manufactured food at them. We impale them with a sharpened piece of wire. We drag them back to us, anticipating a struggle on the fish's end. We trap them in a fish net where they have little chance to escape. It is only after we capture our intended prey that we show the greatest acts of kindness? I never see the baitcast, spinning, or spincast crowd behave this way...catching bass, muskies, catfish, salmon, walleyes, etc.

There have been many times, while unhooking certain fish (warmouths, bluegills, and LM bass) that the fish erractically shakes it's head while I'm unhooking it. The fish only shakes it's head while I am unhooking it. Some people believe that fish feel no pain. I am convinced that fish do feel pain, based on these experiences.

I have a Jewish friend, and he tells me of laws and rules that govern their fishing behavior according to his faith.

I, like many others have caught hundreds, if not thousands of fish. I respect the planet we live on, and I respect the natural resources that God provides for us. There have been some periods of my life, after seeing/feeling a fish shaking while I remove the hook...that almost bother me to the point of giving my gear away and doing something else.

I used to hunt small game. I enjoyed the whole experience, but the final act of killing the animal was the part that finally bothered me. Nowadays, I'll bring a pair of binocs and a squirrel call.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-23-2011, 02:48 PM

billydafish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
Q) Why do some flyfishers hold the flyrod in their mouth while posing with their catch?

A) Looks cool and they probably don't care about their grip. I never do it though cause I got a germ thing with putting a dirty rod in my mouth.

Q) Why do some people refuse to remove a fish from the water? Why do some people struggle to unhook a fish swimming around in a net? They refuse to grab the fish to remove the hook.

A) Cause it is easier on the fish. Dry handing a fish out of water can kill it because it causes disease to grow on the fish's scales.

Q) Why do people allow a trout to lay on top of their hands, never consider the possibility that the fish may flop and hit the rocks below?

A) They're worried about squeezing the fish or getting a hand in the gill (again, deadly).

Hope this helps with a few of those questions. Most of them are just people being worried about hurting the fish. The #1 thing is to never touch the gills or dry hand a fish. Obviously squeezing it is bad too (they have small bones) but it's just one of those things where we're all best off if we do as little unintentional killing as possible.

Cheers.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 PM

bigcat1967 is on a distinguished road

First post here - new here.

I wanna thank ncflyboy for the valuable info - nice post.

Looking forward talking to you guys.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Robert

For many, fishing is a sport that allows an escape from the masses they must endure in order to provide for the family and taking caution with the handling of fish ensures they will be there tomorrow.

For others it is still a vital means of providing subsistence for their family, both are honorable and deserve my admiration. But people who keep everything they catch until the end of the day and then decide they don't want to clean them

Dave
Old 07-23-2011, 10:02 PM

Post Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

It may be me, but it seems that trout are viewed by some to be "hallowed." I've caught rainbow trout and I hold them in the same respect as the bass, pike, bluegill, or any other fish I catch. A shiner has a soft body, similar to a trout.

I wet my hands prior to handling any fish...it protects the slime, and I'm not too cool about smelling like a big fish!

Are trout fragile? They escape the clutches of a hungry otter. Eagles and osprey grab them and the trout slip away. Muskies and pike grab them and trout get away.

Nature is rough. Trout have to be tough to survive.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

I guess my answer would be two part.

First, it is best to handle the fish as little as possible because your hand, even when wet but especially dry, removes the fish's protective slime. So if you're able to not handle a fish and remove the hook, especially on trout, which can be considered a "fragile" species, all the better.

Second, as far as the egg trouncing and hooking/fighting question yet still handle the fish gently, I'm not for deforestation. I do have wood in my house, have a wood table, a wooden dresser etc. But just because I partook in that, doesn't mean I'm going to amplify the problem by going out and cutting down a redwood. If that makes any sense.....

I'm not a member of PETA, but the sport we have taken up is probably not the best thing for the natural environment. But I love the sport, so I will not quit doing it. I will also try to make my footprint as small as possible while doing it. If that means that I don't fish in sweltering heat so I don't stress fish, I make sure that I keep all my clippings of mono, or I try not to handle a fish if I don't have to, that is what I will try my best to do.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccadon3000 View Post
I'm not a member of PETA
I am a member of PETA-People Eating Tasty Animals.

I have no moral issues with catching fish. I never even consider whether I am causing them pain. My reason's for fishing and doing everything I can when handling those I catch with care in the hope of not killing them are purely selfish. I fly fish, because I love the challenge, it makes me feel good, and it allows me to get away from everything and forget everything else. I handle them with care so that hopefully they will be their next time for my pleasure. I also catch fish, because I love eating fish although I seldom eat fresh water fish so the vast majority of time I release all fresh water fish.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 AM

Post Re: Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccadon3000 View Post
So if you're able to not handle a fish and remove the hook, especially on trout, which can be considered a "fragile" species, all the better.
How can a fish be considered "fragile" that encounters predators, lives naturally in many places, and exists wonderfully in their natural environment?

I've caught rainbow trout in the same waters that barges travel. I've caught rainbow trout in the same waters that muskies, catfish, and carp share. I've caught the same trout while targeting smallmouth bass (in the same water) in the middle of the summer...and they seemed fine.

Man's greatest impact to trout would be pollution. Trout have done a fantastic job before people started changing their environment.

If trout are considered "fragile", then why do we bother with them? There are plenty of other fish to pursue.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 AM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
How can a fish be considered "fragile" that encounters predators, lives naturally in many places, and exists wonderfully in their natural environment?

I've caught rainbow trout in the same waters that barges travel. I've caught rainbow trout in the same waters that muskies, catfish, and carp share. I've caught the same trout while targeting smallmouth bass (in the same water) in the middle of the summer...and they seemed fine.

Man's greatest impact to trout would be pollution. Trout have done a fantastic job before people started changing their environment.

If trout are considered "fragile", then why do we bother with them? There are plenty of other fish to pursue.

Cheers,

Robert
While they may inhabit the waters with other natural predators or large ships, it doesn't mean they are not a fragile animal. Just because a hummingbird shares the same sky as a golden eagle, doesnt mean that its not a fragile animal. I've never handled a hummingbird, but i assume their wings are delicate and could be injured easily, in effect killing them if handled improperly A jellyfish is in the same waters as a bull shark and barracuda, but can easily collapse on itself and die The fact of the matter is that trout, after being played, can be very susceptible to dying after we release them, even if we do our best to make sure they swim away. Bass, bluegill etc are a much more hardy fish. They can be brought in, literally tossed back in the water and swim right off. If you played a trout to the net, could tell it was tired, took your picture etc. And literally threw the fish in the water, chances are good that fish may not make it. Someone once told me, knowing trout cant breathe out of the water, when we hold up the fish for our pic to put on the office wall, try to hold your breathe as long as you have the fish out of the water, because thats what it is doing. Not to mention it is doing it after jogging two miles. Why stress the fish more by taking it out of the water? So knowing that, I want to do everything in my power to protect the animal so that it didn't lose it's life for my hobbie. I know ive already caused it harm, because im not going to give up something i love to do, so ill try to mnimize the harm i do to it. Just a personal decision.

As far as why trout and not other species, I'm an equal opportunity angler. I like to fish for anything with fins. The reason I don't stop targeting trout due to their fragility is it takes me to some beautiful places that I enjoy fishing. And I like the look of trout. I think wild trout are beautiful fish. I guess that's why.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
I am a member of PETA-People Eating Tasty Animals.

I have no moral issues with catching fish. I never even consider whether I am causing them pain. My reason's for fishing and doing everything I can when handling those I catch with care in the hope of not killing them are purely selfish. I fly fish, because I love the challenge, it makes me feel good, and it allows me to get away from everything and forget everything else. I handle them with care so that hopefully they will be their next time for my pleasure. I also catch fish, because I love eating fish although I seldom eat fresh water fish so the vast majority of time I release all fresh water fish.
Thats perfect.