The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 PM

fire8702 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing Classes

I was wondering what everyone thinks about taking a class on flyfishing? I am new and trying to figure out everything from here and reading books makes things a little confusing. I live in michigan and there are quite a few places to take a two or three day class. Is it worth it?
Bryan
Old 07-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Fishing Classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire8702 View Post
I was wondering what everyone thinks about taking a class on flyfishing? I am new and trying to figure out everything from here and reading books makes things a little confusing. I live in michigan and there are quite a few places to take a two or three day class. Is it worth it?
Bryan
It is absolutely worth it! Even better than just taking a class would be joining a Fly Fishing Club. Clubs have free or much cheaper than usual classes and seminars for everything there is to do with fly fishing and for every level from beginner to advanced. Many have mentor programs and most experienced members enjoy helping new members learn to fly fish. You would meet others and make friends who love the sport and likely a fish partner or two. Plus, most clubs have outings where they get group rates for things like lodging, guides, and fishing private waters. The club I belong to even has member that own cabins in some of California's prime waters that they allow members to stay in for cheap.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Can you figure how many cubic feet of concrete that you would need for an 8 foot by 12 foot by 4 inch slab? If you did not take a basic math class, there is a good chance that you wouldn't figure that out.

Taking a class in fly fishing course can clarify things that you read in books. You can see the terminology that you have read about like hauls, seam lines, soft water, drifts, mends, etc. You can have an instructor teach you a plan of attack for different conditions. Your instructor can help you make corrections in your casting. You can learn about bugs.

I have found that most instructors are well worth the money, but there are a few bad ones. It would not hurt to check on some references. I know some guides who are good fishermen, but they are terrible instructors.

Dennis
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I know some guides who are good fishermen, but they are terrible instructors.

Dennis
I can dido that as well. Do check references!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Say what you will about Orvis, but I took one of Orvis' free introductory fly fishing seminars and it was a great help when it comes to introducing me to the very basic elements of the hobby. I'll post my thoughts after I take the second one when I get back to the States! Needless to say, I enjoyed it and I would absolutely suggest it to other newbies like myself! And it was free and they provided EVERYTHING! Did I mention it was free?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:14 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

You think it's free, just like you enjoy luring the fish to the net, Orvis enjoys luring customers to the stores, If it takes an initial investment of a "free" seminar so be it, I am sure they believe it will be paid for ten fold in the long run. Having said that, good for Orvis for offering that seminar no matter their motivations, it is a great promotion of the sport we all love.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:14 PM

I have nothing to bad to say about Orvis in particular and as a matter of fact they do have some very good classes and some of their books are excellent. Free classes or selling things even below cost in the retail world is called a loss leader as they bring you in for that and either up sell you or sell you other stuff. I see nothing wrong with it and it is a very effective marketing strategy. Its why some chain stores sell a few things every week at an extreme discount, because enough of the people that come in for those items will buy other things on which they have a big markup.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:39 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hey, they got money out of me that day because I bought some flies, but I was also given a free membership to Trout Unlimited and a $50-for-$25 coupon, which I used to buy 50 dollars worth of flies for half that. Certainly they received $25 dollars from me, but I met some nice people who I now fish with, I got half-price flies which are great when you dont have your own tying set-up yet, and I got my first lesson in how to fly fish. I caught a steelhead the next day on one of the flies I bought, casting it with my cheater stick/spinning rod because I didn't want to wait to get my fly rod and reel (which I happily bought from Allen Fly Fishing, rather than Orvis, as I am a broke graduate student and am STOKED to be receiving in the mail soon).

Anyway, I don't think of it as caving to some dreaded retail giant. I have friends and family who own fishing shops or pass me down used gear when I'm home in Florida so when I do buy I rarely do at full price. A lot of other stuff I find myself buying online. However, I appreciate that there exists options for people that don't have the opportunity to learn from a family member (I live 1000 miles away from my family due to school) and I didn't even have the gear yet to teach myself (I only have my spinning reel, a hand-me-down which I've had for years), and even better that they are essentially free, whether the store stands to profit in some other way or not. In all honesty, if they told me I HAD to give them $25 dollars for the class but that I would get a lesson in fly casting and be given some flies to start off with, I still would have taken the offer without hesitation.

But Tom and Bruce, you're both right! In this instant gratification world we live in, if I ever need a fly-fishing related item, I will probably find myself popping in to the local Orvis to pick up some urgent tying materials, or until I learn to tie and get myself a vise, pick up flies if I run out and just have to get out and fish! Sometimes (read, always) even overnight mail takes too long when you just want to fish!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:25 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I hope my post didn't sound as if I was putting Orvis down, I wasn't I happen to love Orvis, I had one on the way home but unfortunately they closed the doors, trust me I did my part in keeping them open to no avail.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Not at all, Bruce! I just know that those affectionately known as trolls on some forums would jump at the opportunity to pick on the easy target that a place like Orvis would represent. They are certainly presenting a surprisingly valuable service to newbies like myself. I almost felt bad when only one person out of the 25 bought in to the starter rod deal and even then, I think it was a gift... so much for leading a fish to the net