The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM

rschreck will become famous soon enoughrschreck will become famous soon enough
Default 20 Flies.

Another beginner question...

Since the budget is limited, I can't really go out and buy 100 flies at the moment. My question: can you give me a rough idea of 20 flies or a few different types I should buy that could hold me over for a little bit? I live in Denver, will be fishing Clear Creek and the South Platte rivers. Oh and possibly some up in Spearfish, SD.

I appreciate any help.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:12 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 20 Flies.

i dont know if you know but here is a thread about all the different fly shops that sell them for 50-70 cents instead of $2.50. and you want dries or nymphs or both?

Buying Flies without breaking your wallet?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

#14-18 Elk Hair Caddis,brown and gray, #20 Bead Head Hares Ear, #20-22 BWO, #20-22 RS2- gray and olive, #20 Bead Head Zebra Midge, black and red. This time of year a couple of hoppers, #14-16.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 PM

rschreck will become famous soon enoughrschreck will become famous soon enough

Both. Yes, I've read that thread. I just don't really know what flies to get.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Rs-

In terms of bang for the buck, you might want to consider the 20 flies for 9.99 in the Orvis banner ad that pops up on this site-- it's a decent all around assortment for trout every where-- and many of the patterns are useful in CO.

But you'd also do well to add a few locally tied flies that are recommended by gurus from area fly shops like Charlie Craven from Charlies Fly Box in Arvada, or Pat Dorsey from Blue Quill Angler for the South Platte, Clear Creek and other area waters-- some of that water can be quite technical and require some pretty small flies and or fishing with some dry/dropper combinations.

For example here's a link to Pat Dorsey's recommendations for summer hatches and fly patterns:
Colorado Stream Reports for Fly Fisherman at the Blue Quill Angler

So for example in addition to the assortment of all around trout patterns in the Orvis 20 flies for $9.95 deal, you might want to add some other specific stuff from time to time ( as well as replacements for the stuf you leave in trees behind you) when you can like:

Dries
PMD Thorax 16 for Pale Morning Dun Mayflies
Crystal Stimulator 10 (a good imiation for stoneflies and a good top fly for dropper rigs)

some small dries for midges and blue wing olives
Snowshoe Suspender Midge 22 (dry fly)
BWO Sparkle Dun 20 (matches Baetis and other Blue Wing Olives mayflies)

flies for nymphing and the bottom fly on dropper rigs
Barr's Graphic Caddis 18 (emerging caddis)
Mercury Midge 20 (subsurface midge larva/pupa) you could fish off as a dropper)
Mercury Flashback Pheasant Tail Nymph (Baetis and other Blue Wing Olive nymphs)

good luck!

Last edited by peregrines; 07-27-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:06 AM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road

one word of advice though, how you fish a fly is much more important than fly selection. My brother always copies the fly that I am using and I catch two or three times the fish he does
Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

So far you have had some good response.

A shop customer came in today because he needed flies. The guy is living on a job site at a remote mountain lake full of Rainbow Trout. I recommended that most of his flies be Callibaetis patterns with some midges, PMDs, caddis, damsels, and terrestrials mixed in. After all was said and done, he left the shop with more than 50 flies and enough leader and tippet to last him the next three months.

I always like to defer to the locals about proper fly selection. They are the guys who know the waters best. I am glad that Nickj commented. You can visit a local fly shop in Denver to get fly recommendations for the waters that you wish to fish. Those shops may have a fly tied by a local that may work particularly for your region. A good shop guy will tell you the quantities of the flies that you should have. For example in my story, I sold my customer more Callibaetis mayfly patterns than any other because Callibaetis will be the main food source for trout for the next few months and would give him the best chance to get more hookups.

Dennis
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Rs-

In terms of bang for the buck, you might want to consider the 20 flies for 9.99 in the Orvis banner ad that pops up on this site-- it's a decent all around assortment for trout every where-- and many of the patterns are useful in CO.
I agree - this is a good deal - I always recommend this to friends. Be sure to click through from this site rather than going to the Orvis site. The forum, I am sure gets credit for directing people to Orvis's site. The ad is probably at the bottom of the page as you read this!
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach

Last edited by Noiso; 07-26-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

You might be able to find a hatch chart online for the water you want to fish. Don't just get one fly, buy at least two of a kind. What if it's working and you lose it? Maybe someone can tell you more specific on the water you are going to fish and help out.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
Another beginner question...

Since the budget is limited, I can't really go out and buy 100 flies at the moment. My question: can you give me a rough idea of 20 flies or a few different types I should buy that could hold me over for a little bit? I live in Denver, will be fishing Clear Creek and the South Platte rivers. Oh and possibly some up in Spearfish, SD.

I appreciate any help.
I see you are in Denver too, this website solved alot of problems for me with his section on confidence patterns. Home

With this guidance I went from carrying 4 fly boxes full of stuff I couldnt tell you what it was to now I have 2 boxes.

1 Box with stimulators, stones, midges , san juan worms

1 box I carry after july til it freezes over and I catch way more fish than before. I carry (all ordered from Riverbum.com)

Size 16-20 Hi Vis parachute adams
Size 16-20 BWO
Size 14 Tan EHC
Size 20 PMD

For nymphs
Hot wire prince
Flashback pheasant tail
Hares ear
rs2
Barr emerger BWO

few ants hoppers and san juam worms but the box is streamline now