The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default If you fish during Winter. . . .

Good Day to All,Just curious how many fly-fish during the Winter ?I do here in Michigan. ( in fact I am more than likelyheading out this coming Sat. morning. I'll be targetingsteelhead that are in the rivers now. )What are you favorite/best trout flies that you use ?Black/brown stones, small thread midges, caddis ???Any good ideas on keeping ice out of the guides ?Thank you,Tie One On
Old 01-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: If you fish during Winter. . . .

Used to work at a fly shop with a guy from michigan. He says that some of the folks from back home would keep a can of PAM cooking spray accessible to spray the guides with to prevent icing. Supposed to work like a charm. Never tried it, and can't suggest any solutions for line cleaning afterwards either.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I fish year round also. I went Sat up in Idaho to a warm water spring fed lake. Half was ice capped, but a lot of open water. Took my small pontoon, but the breeze was a nice 50 mile an hour Idaho breeze, so, I opted not to launch. Ended up casting from the dock, but even my line was icing up, so we went back to the house after a couple of hours of trading off sitting in the warm truck.
Around here on the rivers however, it is the 28's to 32's that are great for the hatch and a black Muddler or woolly for when a storm front is pushing them down.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:35 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

arround here when its warming above 32 and we get some midge hatches were using 20-22 nymph flies, which of course im not any good at all, but trying.. i was just told the other day by a guide when using the small stuff to use an attractor 18 inches above the midge like a pink lighting bug or pink scud, but these attractors catch fish too for us here.. as for steel head on the washington coast it never ceased to amaze me what caught fish.. hardly ever seen the same fly catchng fish twice in one day.. it was what was there and what made that fish bite at that time.. i used a burlap fly alot, a hook with burlap on the body and a white hair back (streamer) . . id also tie it with orange yarn and switch back and fourth.... .... dave...
Old 02-03-2007, 02:40 PM

swdklad is on a distinguished road

You are nuts! I'm in Michigan and it is about 8 degrees outside.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:06 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I'm in Maine..... we fish through holes in the water...frozen water !!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-05-2007, 10:43 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Maybe I am nuts, but fish still bite even whenwinter is raging. The coldest I've ever been outin was 10 degrees outside temp. The water thatday was about 35 degrees. I was out two weeks ago when the air temp. wasaround 25 or so & the water was 37 degrees. Aslong as you have the proper gear to wear it'squite awesome to be casting with a light snowfallcoming down. Trout are hungry just like we are. Try it you may like it,Tie One On
Old 02-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on View Post
Maybe I am nuts, but fish still bite even whenwinter is raging. The coldest I've ever been outin was 10 degrees outside temp. The water thatday was about 35 degrees. I was out two weeks ago when the air temp. wasaround 25 or so & the water was 37 degrees. Aslong as you have the proper gear to wear it'squite awesome to be casting with a light snowfallcoming down. Trout are hungry just like we are. Try it you may like it,Tie One On

RIGHT ON! it is either that or I would go NUTS! It is a blast fishing in the snow. As long as the guides are free from ice, my line will be in the water!. @0 degrees would be nice LOL
Old 02-06-2007, 04:30 PM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough

I fish every weekend in winter.....sorry, couldn't help that.(From San Carlos, Sonora)