The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 11:15 AM

arthur is on a distinguished road
Default Air Travel with Fly Gear

I'm going to Ontario (from NY) on a fly-in pike trip this June. I'll be bringing a few casting outfits in checked rod case, but will be bringing my 9wt as well. It's a 4pc and in the case measures 31"; which I'm hoping to bring as a carry on. I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with this (being refused, being able, etc.).

Also I'd like to bring some flies on board. Am I pushing it? I'm thinking that if they loose my conventional gear, at least I'll have my flies and rod with me!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Air Travel with Fly Gear

Attempt to carry on flies only if you want to make them into a charitable donation. If you want a way to make sure they get there, ship them via FedEx. (Hint: if you can stick them in a fedex envelope and keep it under 8 oz, you can get the envelope rate, about half the cost of a 1 lb box) I haven't had any trouble carrying 4 pc rods on planes, though I haven't needed to attempt that in a while.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:07 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

I carry both Boo and Graphite on planes....31 inches should be no problem....However, make sure your rod tube(s) are not metal....Plastic or Cordura covered...I've never had a problem......Most Boo though have metal tubes.....I bought a cheap plastic tube on e-bay to carry my boo on planes. I agree with Cliff on the flys....also check all your snippers, pliers, etc....they will be confiscated as well.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 PM

Thanks. My case is plastic, it seems, and is Cordura covered.

I'll check the flies, tools, etc. Boga too I guess.

How about reels? Check those too?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

One way to see what the airline will do with flies is to askthen upfront about your flies.I made a trip to England last spring & purchase 30 flies froman Orvis shop. (Best Orvis shop I've ever been in. No offenseto anyone, but the times I've stopped into the shops in my areaI was treated rudely. Normally if your not ready to drop $$$they barely spoke.) I had them in my carryon & told them aboutthem & had no problem.Tie one On
Old 01-31-2007, 11:22 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

What about carrying reels on board?

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 01-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You should be fine carrying reels on. The items to check are anything sharp, or that could be used as a weapon.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
You should be fine carrying reels on. The items to check are anything sharp, or that could be used as a weapon.
I could bop someone on the head pretty good with a reel.I'd rather do that that try to hook em somehow!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

You could probably tie up an entire flight crew with a fly line and backing. Not sure if this has caught the attention of regulators but I would probably ask the airline first.

Oh, and hello to all from a new guy.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

Don't take our word for it; call the airline. I get updates on the rules changes from the airlines from our corporate travel agency. They change often and contradict themselves routinely. Even though you get the rules many people have written that the check-in counter people don't always get them correct. Be prepared to check all your items.