The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 05:10 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default went fishin' on my lunch break and GOT SKUNKED...

it was hot out. still is....i drove about 10 minutes to get to the spot (blackfoot river, for those of you who are interested ).... the river was super clear.... seen one single rise....so i tested the water first with my 3wt and some dries for about 20 minutes. nothing.... i rigged up my 5wt with a nymph and san juan under an indicator.... 20 minutes and nothing.... really really really wanted to switch spools and hit the really deep pools with my sinking line and a fat streamer but it was time to get back to the office...

met another fellow fly fisherman on my way back up to my car. he asked if i had any luck.
"nope," i replied. "too hot and bright out i think. give it a few hours."
"hmmmm." he said "i'm here already so might as well fish."
"yea," i said, "i threw both dries and nymphs for about 45 minutes and didn't catch a thing. was about to throw some big uglies but i gotta get back to work. you should hit those deep holes with a big wooly bugger or jj special or conehead anything....something big and weighted"
he said he'd give it a try....

got to my car and was putting my rods away.... i chewed on jerky and watched him for a couple minutes.... a few casts later and there was a nice bend in his rod. he gave me a thumb up. i laughed and yelled out "save some for me, i'm coming back after work!"

stay tuned for photos tomorrow morning.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: went fishin' on my lunch break and GOT SKUNKED...

It's been super hot in Southeast PA the past couple weeks, so I've been fishing for smallmouth. I do the same thing: drys first, followed by incrementally heavier flies in deep channels. The drys work, but the heavy buggers and Clousers in channels work every time. My wife managed to dredge up some 20+ inch catfish a couple weeks ago with heavy a heavy Clouser and bugger, in a deep channel of course. I'm beginning to go right for the deep channels first now.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what you get for rubbing our noses in it.

But seriously...Can only imagine how much better your attitude at work must be after fishing during lunch break. Looking forward to pics from your evening fishing.

Dave
Old 07-29-2011, 11:04 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

well... bad news.... i left work around 5:15 last night... got to the spot around 5:30..... there were about 6 cars/trucks parked in the area... i got out and looked around... saw a bunch of people jumping off a cliff right into said fishing hole. and lots more folks just hanging out along the shore sipping mikes hard lemonade and bud light. 10 years ago i would have stripped down to my boxers and joined them.

oh well. i'm going back there on TODAY'S lunch break. stay tuned for photos!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

At least if that is a common occurrence and the fish are still biting you know you're not dealing with spooky fish!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
At least if that is a common occurrence and the fish are still biting you know you're not dealing with spooky fish!
true. this time of year, the hatch is buzzed pretty ladies in float tubes.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:37 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Hmm, so matching the hatch must be donning board shorts, cracking open a beer, and following in your own tube! Angling at its finest...
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 PM

gila steve is on a distinguished road

Its a tough life My Kiss but i guess someone has to do it huh LOL...Every time you post about fishing at Lunch im jelouse as heck lol
Steve
Cooperate, Act Alone, Solve Equations, Analyze A New Problem, Pitch Manure, Program A Computer,Cook a Tasty Meal, Fly Fish,
Fight Efficently And Die Gallantly...............
Specialization Is For Insects!"
Robert Heinlein
Old 07-29-2011, 01:35 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Went to one of my favorite holes on the Savage River here in Maryland a few weeks ago. Found two ladies sunbathing and their kids climbing all over the rocks having fun. There is a very rocky 'beach' area for a lack of better words and they have just as much right to be there as I did and I have no problem with that. I just never thought of the Savage as a resort destination for the day of fun and frollick! First time I ever saw that in that hole! It is easily accessible too.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)