The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 09:47 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mini Practice Fly Rod

I have one and like it. I keep it in the loft above our garage and every morning when I go to work (pardon........went to work ), I'd cast for 5-10 minutes with it. Same thing when I returned home. I think it's a great casting supplement for those Winter days when you can't easily get outside.

Pocono
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 AM

henryandsamsmom is on a distinguished road

Sam is my 7 yr old. Henry is 13 and is only interested in tying flies.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the opinions, looks like my friend will be trying to duck the boss while practicing in the office...lol

Dave
Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Back in the late 1970's I used just a length of tow yarn and the top section of a two piece light spinning rod. You can also use the top half of a fly rod to practice.

There is really no need to even make a special rod when using tow yarn or macrame cord to simulate the fly line. If you have some macrame cord or something similar, you might want to give that a try before spending the money on an MPR.

Hello, Silver Creek.

I know this is a really old thread.

What is "Tow Yarn"? I can't seem to open the link. And which is better? Tow yarn or macrame cord?

I want to try to make one of these things. How short of a rod would work?

Thanks,
ray
Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The Mini Practice Rod is also a great tool to frustrate cats.
Guarantee it would drive my border collie cross nutso in less than 15 seconds!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Hello, Silver Creek.

I know this is a really old thread.

What is "Tow Yarn"? I can't seem to open the link. And which is better? Tow yarn or macrame cord?

I want to try to make one of these things. How short of a rod would work?

Thanks,
ray
G'day Ray!

The cheapest option may be to write Rajeff Sports at info@rajeffsports.com for the latest pricing on a replacement "line" for the MPR. It was $10 before shipping cost back in january of 2011.

If you want to make your own "fly line" just like the MPR line, you will need macrame cord and tow yarn which is also know as gift wrapping yarn. You can see that tow yarn is what we used to make egg flies "back in the day," before they came up with special egg yarns for that. The fly shops called it "Tow Yarn" to hide the fact that it was gift wrapping yarn. I used to buy it at the gift wrapping section of Hallmark Stores when it was popular.

Macrame cord is also what is used for the polypropylene yarn strike indicators so pick the color you want for strike indicators if you are going to buy and make your own MPR fly line.

You can see that the MPR fly line is yellow macrame cord with two strand tow yarn tapering to a single strand of yarn.

Click the image to open in full size.

Macrame Cord:

Bonnie Braid 6mm Cord - 100 yd - Macrame Super Store from Pepperell Braiding

Macrame Rings | Cording for Macrame & Knot Crafts | ConsumerCrafts

Gift Tying/Tow yarn:

Pak it Products Gift Tie Yarn

Yarn
busbus likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The Mini Practice Rod is also a great tool to frustrate cats.
and to frustrate the wives too.

I have the Orvis Practicecaster to cast around when I am watching TV.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, silver!

I have an old 4' 6" ultra light spinning rod that my daughter used when she was a munchkin...actually, she never stopped using it until she "outgrew" fishing at 16 years old. I have all the faith in the world she will find her way back but, until then, that rod is MINE!

I may take the advice on getting the replacement line because it costs as much as buying the other yarn--even if I get a lot more. It just isn't worth it.

I have three more questions:

1. Where do you tie the line onto the spinning rod?

2. This rod seems extremely, well, I don't know how to describe it. I tried casting with nothing on it and the tip kept wiggling for a little while after both the back cast and the forward cast. Is this not a good choice for a practice rod?

3. Finally, I assume you can practice false casting and double hauling with this outfit? I know these probably aren't the "best" thing to be practicing but I figured I would ask. I have a nice 35-40 foot, uh, space to toss line into. (Who cares if it IS over a dining room table, the sofa, several Lenox vases, and a fat cat? If a vase falls, I blame the cat.)
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I was wondering if such a thing existed. sounds like alot of fun for goofing around and teaching indoors.. may have to experiment
Mike
Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Thanks, silver!

I have three more questions:

1. Where do you tie the line onto the spinning rod?

2. This rod seems extremely, well, I don't know how to describe it. I tried casting with nothing on it and the tip kept wiggling for a little while after both the back cast and the forward cast. Is this not a good choice for a practice rod?

3. Finally, I assume you can practice false casting and double hauling with this outfit? I know these probably aren't the "best" thing to be practicing but I figured I would ask. I have a nice 35-40 foot, uh, space to toss line into. (Who cares if it IS over a dining room table, the sofa, several Lenox vases, and a fat cat? If a vase falls, I blame the cat.)
1. You don't tie the line to the rod. You string up the rod just like you would with regular fly and grab the macrame end of the fly line against the rod with your casting hand.

2. I am getting the impression that your daughter's rod is solid fiberglass "Snoopy" type of children's rod. You can use just the upper section of an adult spinning rod instead. Before using it indoors, be sure you won't mind if your daughter accidentally breaks it.

3. Whether you can double haul depends on the size of the rod guides and tip top guide. They are usually too small to allow an actual double haul. But by holding the line in your non rod hand instead of against the rod, you can usually slip some line into the cast.
busbus likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy