The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mini Practice Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post

On to my question, are those mini practice fly rods a good tool to help one learn proper casting skills? If they do work I might get one just to play with as a stress reliever.

Dave

Just an office prop for goofing around. Besides, for most rookies the real problems begin once the line is out on the water... no way to simulate that with an office ribbon.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-17-2013, 02:35 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mini Practice Fly Rod

I think any practice method that simulates casting helps to build muscle memory in a beginner fly caster. I use pantomime, paint brushes, pencils, and even visualization. What we are building are the neural connections in the brain and proprioception from our muscles and joints that allow use to cast a fly without thinking about it. Casting becomes automatic. We are not born with that ability.

The micro practice rods help to build that muscle memory.

I used one to practice my fly casting indoors when I started to fly fish. I found it useful during the Wisconsin winters.

These micro practice rods simulate the delay and the feel of a bending fly rod. You can do curve in-the-air mends, S casts, curve casts, parachute and puddle casts.

This is casting and not fishing. But I've always believed that before you can fly fish, you must learn to fly cast. I also think this is a very good way to teach children who cannot handle a adult rod and the length of real fly line that is needed to lead a rod.

Gary uses it in his lectures as does George Daniels.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy