The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Mini Practice Fly Rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/165959-mini-practice-fly-rod.html)

littledavid123 07-28-2011 06:10 PM

Mini Practice Fly Rod

Ladies/Gents

I have a friend who was crippled from a motorcycle incident many years ago and he is interested in fly fishing. His muscle coordination is not good but with practice I think he could cast a fly rod. He has an office job with the space and time to practice while at work.

On to my question, are those mini practice fly rods a good tool to help one learn proper casting skills? If they do work I might get one just to play with as a stress reliever.

Dave

mojo 07-28-2011 06:22 PM

Re: Mini Practice Fly Rod

David, If you're talking the Echo practice rod, it is pretty cool. The yarn "line" is thick and it is tough going through the guide which I think gives it the feel of a real line and rod albeit smaller. I also thinks it gives you muscle memory. For $30 or so, it might be a good idea to help your friend.

darwin 07-28-2011 06:36 PM

I agree they are well worth the using. They will help with muscle memory and timing as Mojo stated. I know 3 certified casting instructors that use them in their classes. Best wishes to your friend.

henryandsamsmom 07-28-2011 06:51 PM

We have one. My 7 yr old and I use it and we both like it. I think it has helped my casting.

mojo 07-28-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryandsamsmom (Post 293191)
We have one. My 7 yr old and I use it and we both like it. I think it has helped my casting.

So, is Sam the 7 y.o. Or Henry?:)

silver creek 07-28-2011 10:04 PM

As you probably know, the Echo MPR (Micro Practice Rod) is a copy of the Wulff Fly-O Practice Rod, invented by Lee and Joan Wulff. The Wulff fly-O used a section of red tow yarn for the line. The Echo MPR uses a section of yellow macrame cord whipped to a section of tow yarn for the leader section. I have an MPR that I use for demos.

Back in the late 1970's I used just a length of tow yarn and the top section of a two piece light spinning rod. You can also use the top half of a fly rod to practice.

There is really no need to even make a special rod when using tow yarn or macrame cord to simulate the fly line. If you have some macrame cord or something similar, you might want to give that a try before spending the money on an MPR.

There is also another casting tool called a "Spey-O in this issue of The Loop.

MoscaPescador 07-29-2011 01:43 AM

The Mini Practice Rod is also a great tool to frustrate cats.

wjc 07-29-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

The Mini Practice Rod is also a great tool to frustrate cats.
:D

No kidding! A friend of mine has a cat that goes beserk when he grabs a fly rod off his rack when we head out to go fishing. It acts lilke my dogs did when they saw me with a shotgun or smelled Hoppe's #9 on me.

Cheers,
Jim

Rip Tide 07-29-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjc (Post 293354)
:D
No kidding! A friend of mine has a cat that goes beserk when he grabs a fly rod off his rack when we head out to go fishing.

I can't practice cast in the back yard anymore. We have 5 cats and they come running when they see a fly rod :D

silver creek 07-29-2011 09:28 AM

Try this