The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mini Practice Fly Rod

Ladies/Gents

I have a friend who was crippled from a motorcycle incident many years ago and he is interested in fly fishing. His muscle coordination is not good but with practice I think he could cast a fly rod. He has an office job with the space and time to practice while at work.

On to my question, are those mini practice fly rods a good tool to help one learn proper casting skills? If they do work I might get one just to play with as a stress reliever.

Dave
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mini Practice Fly Rod

David, If you're talking the Echo practice rod, it is pretty cool. The yarn "line" is thick and it is tough going through the guide which I think gives it the feel of a real line and rod albeit smaller. I also thinks it gives you muscle memory. For $30 or so, it might be a good idea to help your friend.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I agree they are well worth the using. They will help with muscle memory and timing as Mojo stated. I know 3 certified casting instructors that use them in their classes. Best wishes to your friend.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM

henryandsamsmom is on a distinguished road

We have one. My 7 yr old and I use it and we both like it. I think it has helped my casting.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryandsamsmom View Post
We have one. My 7 yr old and I use it and we both like it. I think it has helped my casting.
So, is Sam the 7 y.o. Or Henry?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

As you probably know, the Echo MPR (Micro Practice Rod) is a copy of the Wulff Fly-O Practice Rod, invented by Lee and Joan Wulff. The Wulff fly-O used a section of red tow yarn for the line. The Echo MPR uses a section of yellow macrame cord whipped to a section of tow yarn for the leader section. I have an MPR that I use for demos.

Back in the late 1970's I used just a length of tow yarn and the top section of a two piece light spinning rod. You can also use the top half of a fly rod to practice.

There is really no need to even make a special rod when using tow yarn or macrame cord to simulate the fly line. If you have some macrame cord or something similar, you might want to give that a try before spending the money on an MPR.

There is also another casting tool called a "Spey-O in this issue of The Loop.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-29-2011, 01:43 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Mini Practice Rod is also a great tool to frustrate cats.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
The Mini Practice Rod is also a great tool to frustrate cats.

No kidding! A friend of mine has a cat that goes beserk when he grabs a fly rod off his rack when we head out to go fishing. It acts lilke my dogs did when they saw me with a shotgun or smelled Hoppe's #9 on me.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post

No kidding! A friend of mine has a cat that goes beserk when he grabs a fly rod off his rack when we head out to go fishing.
I can't practice cast in the back yard anymore. We have 5 cats and they come running when they see a fly rod
Old 07-29-2011, 09:28 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Try this

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy