The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about
Default How to tye a dropper

Does anyone have any suggestions on tying on a dropper. I have failed many times while trying. One leader seems to tangle around the other.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to tye a dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactor View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on tying on a dropper. I have failed many times while trying. One leader seems to tangle around the other.
Most common is off the bend of the first hook. You can vary that by tying off the eye of the first hook. I put split shot about 18" up from first fly on a nymph rig. But on a dry dropper, just var the length of the tippet for the dropper. If you are getting tangles, try slowing down and wait for the line to straighten all the way out before changing directions. You will have to make larger loops. Also, try casting slightly to the side so as not to hook yourself. Roll cast will be another way, but be sure to lift the rod all the way up till the line drops behind you to get a large loop.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Reactor, Joni has given you good information if it is tangling on the cast. I have tried tying at both positions and prefer the bend of the front hook. One problem may be you are using too long of a leader between the flies. Especially if it is tanging in the water. I assume you are tying your first fly to the end of the leader.Frank
Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Here's a link to a fairly recent thread on the topic- Bead Heads?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:14 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Try this......
loop line up from end where ever you want "dropper"........take loop through eye of hook.......wrap twice around and pass loop through itself and over hook point. Draw it up carefully .......so as not to ruin fly...and pull tight over eye and center so it rides right. Tangle free and increases feel of fish takes.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm waiting for the ice to thaw and the water temperature to warm up before I try using a dropper. You have pointed out my mistakes and I will correct them.

Ice out is usually by the first week in April.