The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 12:52 AM

gcollin is on a distinguished road
Default Building a rod.

I have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

So first, I am new to fly fishing and am thinking about making my own rod. Now, As I said I am thinking about it so obviously I am making sure it is something that I am capable of before I dive in. The rod I want to make is a 6 strip, 8 ft 3 piece bamboo rod. Now second, what kind of places sell bamboo sticks, and should I use tonkin cane?. Part II 1/2, I want to try to do it by hand for the most part. Obviously I am going to use rod planers (there is a local fly shop that says they have some and will let the public use them but I still need to call them...) but I want to do all the threading by hand (unless you guys think it will be to hard). So part III materials.
AW12 Window Fly Seats | mudhole.com Seat
ProKöte Rod Building Thread Finish | mudhole.com thread finish
Flexcoat Rod Finish | mudhole.com rod finish
ProWrap? ColorFast Rod Winding Thread - Size A (100 Yds) | mudhole.com thread
Reinforced Brass Ferrules (Chrome Plated) | mudhole.com ferrules
Cigar Grips | mudhole.com cork grip
XFTL Fly Tops | mudhole.com tip guide
11LDF Fly Guide Kit guide kit Will all of this stuff work?.

So if you see anything that is missing please let me know and also please let me know if any of the materials I listed are wrong or anything like that.
Ok, Thanks in advance,

-Collin
Old 07-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building a rod.

I think you are biting off more than you can chew here. There is a lot to building bamboo rods. You need a lot of stuff. You can get all of it from here; Golden Witch but do some research before you dive in.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend whose one and only rod that he ever built was a bamboo from scratch, but he took a class to do it.
Another friend taught himself to build cane rods from scratch, but he had lots of experience building and repairing other rods.

At the Catskill Fly Fishing Center, they have a bamboo rod building class each June and there's a Rod Builder's Gathering coming up in September.
My buddy picked up most of his 'tips' at that clave which he attends each year
Old 07-30-2011, 04:49 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

I agree with Dan, theres a lot to building any type of rod and the bamboo is the hardest. Pick up a Bamboo rod building guide or two.

Good luck..Rick