The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 09:12 AM

Kentucky Boy is on a distinguished road
Default New Gear For New Fly Fisherman

Well like i've said before i'm new to fly fishin and am in the process of buying some new gear i already have a cortland rod and cabelas guide tech boot foot waders. I'm in the process of buying a reel (i have a thread on that in the reel section if you want to help) and basicly i need to know if theres anything else i need to buy. I'll be fishin mostly in the river and some on the lake for bass blue gill and some trout. i know i need some flys, any one know of a good assortment for what i'll be fishin for? thanks for the help.

-Mike
Old 02-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Gear For New Fly Fisherman

You'll need a good fly line as well. The stuff is totally different from regular fishing line, and needs to be the same "weight" as your rod. (a 5 weight rod would need a WF5F or DT5F line) The stuff is a little less thick than the lead in a wood pencil, and you'll want to start out with one that floats. You might think that the more expensive lines out there are way too expensive, but you really don't want to skimp on a fly line. The lines that sell for less than $24 mostly all float poorly, coil too much, or have other problems. It might seem backwards (compared to spinning/casting tackle) but you're better off spending $50 on the line and $30 on the reel than doing the opposite. -------------------------------------------- Most any fly selection created for "panfish", "bream" or "warmwater" should be a good one to start out with.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Boy View Post
Well like i've said before i'm new to fly fishin and am in the process of buying some new gear i already have a cortland rod and cabelas guide tech boot foot waders. I'm in the process of buying a reel (i have a thread on that in the reel section if you want to help) and basicly i need to know if theres anything else i need to buy. I'll be fishin mostly in the river and some on the lake for bass blue gill and some trout. i know i need some flys, any one know of a good assortment for what i'll be fishin for? thanks for the help.

-Mike
Hey Mike, we need to know what weight rod you have to recommend flies. No use buying big bass flies if your outfit won't handle them. Cliff is right about the line. It is very important to have a line that matches your rod. It sounds like you need a good book about fly fishing that covers all the basics. Do you like to read? Is there a shop in your area that sell fly fishing equipment? --------Frank
Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 PM

Kentucky Boy is on a distinguished road

yeah frank i think your definatley right about the book idea i didnt know fly fishin would be this complex, and i do like to read. But i'm not much into the idea of paying money for a book.....maybe my library will have one or somethin. and my rod is 8 1/2' for line 5/6.