The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trials of Tail Water Fishing

Yesterday the generation schedule showed 10:00am water release, Good News, from where I fish it's 2 hours before the rise so I'm pumped at having 6 hours to fish. I load up the kayak and on the water by 6, fishing is slow but I am patient. 7:30 the fish start moving... game on, 4 fish in 30 minutes. Yep, here comes the release my takeout point becomes hazardous if I stay out to late, so time to head home.

The feeding times of the fish become rather quirky when they are shifting the release schedules. First light may be hot or it could be 9:30 before they turn on. They might be in the hole or up above in the shallows, sometimes they start off feeding in the hole and then work their way up into the shallows???

I'm afraid that when I finally retire and move into the mountains, what I have learned about fly fishing will have to be thrown out with the bath water.

Dave
Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Trials of Tail Water Fishing

Dave,

Nothing you learn about the habits of fish, where to find them, or how to catch them ever gets thrown out. Every tiny bit of knowledge committed to memory serves you no matter where you go or what you are fishing for.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-01-2011, 02:18 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Dave

Could not agree with Ard more!! Every little tid bit of knowledge comes into play on the water!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-01-2011, 05:16 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Dave,

Nothing you learn about the habits of fish, where to find them, or how to catch them ever gets thrown out. Every tiny bit of knowledge committed to memory serves you no matter where you go or what you are fishing for.

Ard
Agree with that one!

There are so many times that we find ourselves in analogous situations while fishing, that the creation of an experiencial database is one of the best things that you can take with you whereever and whenever you fish.

Pocono

PS - I'm escaping Maine for the next week and will be back in my old environs fishing on small streams in the Poconos!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

As everyone else has said, I'm finding that the more different types of water I fish, its like building an encyclopedia that you can draw upon every time you fish.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Dave,

Ard
Agree with Ard..... Dave ...the more you fish the more you learn
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I bow deeply and genuflect to the sage advice given.

However I must be moving, time for the maps to be laid on the table and chart new sections of river for these slimy sirens that call my name.

Dave
Old 08-01-2011, 03:44 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I find to be the true beauty of this sport, as long as you are of sound mind and body, you can get better at it for the rest of your life. Not many other sports can you say that about. All acquired knowledge and experience is banked for future use. Tailwaters can be great fisheries, but they are artificial, controlled flows and therefore subject to the vagaries of man. Spring creeks, coastal rivers, mountain freestones, they all have their patterns and secrets, unlocking 'em is fun. milt. Dang, forgot to mention saltwater, and lakes, and...
Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Release times are subject to change unfortunately. Whats really sucks is when you live far away and they change the release time to an earlier time.

Last edited by jcw355; 08-01-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

That's a crazy way to fish but it sounds like you got the pattern down. I fish the tailwater of the Savage River Dam and they have scheduled monthly releases for white water rafting and kayaking. Once however, they were doing their annual flushing from under the dam and they don't notify anyone or sound a siren when they did. I was fishing downstream and noticed an unusually high number of leaves coming down the river. Didn't pay attention to it much until I turned around and noticed all the rocks were gone. High tailed it out of there and in a few minute the water was too high to fish and too high to be in!!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)