The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default carrying a weapon?

was thinking about getting a handgun to carry with me while fishing. yesterday i spotted a black bear and if it decided to charge i had no way to defend myself so it kinda just burned into the back of my head i need one. a guide i went with in colorado asked us if he could carry one, anyone here carry one? opinions? and if your "antigun" do you carry something to defend yourself with?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 PM

hubby11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: carrying a weapon?

On the West Coast I carried a .357 a few times where I knew there were mountain lions and the occasional black bear (and also the occasional dangerous 2-legged critters). Now that I am on the East Coast (VA) I am considering carrying again if I am in a very isolated area, known for black bears (and hillbillys ). So I am certainly not anti-gun.

That all being said, if I ever went to an area with brown bears - i.e., grizzleys - I would carry bear spray. This is not the same thing as personal protection pepper spray that a lady may carry in her purse. These spray cannisters are the size of small extinguishers and put out a serious cloud. By everything I could find, they are more effective and reliable than any handgun and most rifles.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

For long time my best friends were mr Smith and mr Wesson
Joking a bit ,but I used to carry handgun with me on remote locations ...and I am happy that I never had need to use it
Now days it is forbidden here since our sleazy politicians have bad habit of introducing other countries laws here.Since year 2004,and hundreds years before, it was completely normal to carry handgun ...just like in Texas now ...god old days
Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubby11 View Post
That all being said, if I ever went to an area with brown bears - i.e., grizzleys - I would carry bear spray. This is not the same thing as personal protection pepper spray that a lady may carry in her purse. These spray cannisters are the size of small extinguishers and put out a serious cloud. By everything I could find, they are more effective and reliable than any handgun and most rifles.
I trust my life to 2 large canisters of this every year, when I see a black bear I'm usually reaching for a camera and not the spray. I camp in bear country often and always take my dog Boss, between his ears & nose and the spray I don't feel uneasy at all. What I have learned is to identify the places most likely to be frequented by bears and I stay out of them. Any small creek that fills with salmon is prime shopping for a bear looking for food. Knowing this goes a long way toward staying safe. I haven't seen a bear yet this year but may.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM

driftaway is on a distinguished road

There was a show on the outdoor channel called "Best of the West" they showed how hard it was to hit a charging bear with a handgun. If bears are your concern better off carrying spray.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Girl on the Today Show this morning was talking about how she was attacked by a black bear while out trail running.
Seems she ran between the bear and her cubs and the momma ran her down and dropped her.
It sounded to me as if the bear had no intention of really hurting her until she whacked it with a rock . I know that might tick me off .
For having been just attacked by a "deadly wild animal" the girl looked pretty good. Only a couple of puncture wounds on one arm and some light scratches.

I don't worry at all about black bears. The ones that I've run into have either high tailed out of there quickly or were totally unconcerned by my presence.
As for a "weapon", I carry one of these;

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Yes,

Last Summer hiking in RMNP to fish I ran in to two bear cubs, first thought, where is mom.

2 weeks later same river, heard some crashing, yup bull moose steps in the river with me not 25 feet away.

That is when I decided to get my concealed carry permit and I do carry a Taurus Tracker 44mag on a shoulder rig under my vest when I fish the backcountry.

3 weeks ago went to fish and a guy is parked right next to me so I didnt want to frighten him by strapping a cannon on, so I went without. Low and behold I was on a bend of a river at runoff where thick undergrowth limited my retreat as well as 800cfs water. I was pinned in by a 6x6 Bull Elk who was not happy I was there.

And me without any way to defend myself.

So yes, 44mag under thest or 40S&W Glock 23 in the hip pack always now
Old 08-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she needed her skis on.
Woman attacked by bear: ?She ran straight for me? - Good News - TODAY.com

Mac probably knows her from Park City?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

If it's bears.. Bear Spray is the way to go.

Get one that comes with the holster of your choice. Much faster to access and actually hit the face of the bear.

99% of black bears (I'm grabbing that out of thin air) - are so docile, I doubt it's a real concern - if it has cubs - that could be a different issue. A woman in Missoula just had an encounter with a black bear with cubs.. she yelled at it.. that seemed to work

Grizzlies... I'd have bear spray - a pistol light enough to carry might just make it madder.

If you carry for other animals - a small revolver, with the hammer on an empty cylnder is a good choice. a little 5 round 38 Special - would be light and plenty - if not just for the noise factor
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Maybe she needed her skis on.
Woman attacked by bear: ?She ran straight for me? - Good News - TODAY.com

Mac probably knows her from Park City?
nope but i got a friend who does.

the reason i was thinking a gun, im from texas and never owned a gun. i need one also the bear was a rare sighting we are right on the edge of bear country but mountain lion and moose are common here.