The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 PM

flyguy2 is on a distinguished road
Default Kayak

I am in the process of researching a purchase of a kayak for fly fishing. I would appreciate any and all info or advice on the subject. Any brand recommendations ?? Looking very hard at the Native Ultimate 12.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kayak

Flyguy

We need more info, what are you fishing for, what type of water and are you fishing from the kayak or only using it as transportation?

Dave
Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Watch the youtube promo vid of the Jackson coosa kayak. If I could start over I would own it!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

You'll want a sit on top style so you can easily get off when wearing waders. Expect to spend 600 - 800 for a mid level and $1000+ for a higher end one.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_reaper View Post
You'll want a sit on top style so you can easily get off when wearing waders. Expect to spend 600 - 800 for a mid level and $1000+ for a higher end one.
I have a sit-in. It's about 20 years old and has the traditional small cockpit opening, not often seen in recreational kayaks today. While I'm not young, thin or graceful, I have no problem getting in and out while while wearing waders.
It might be that I'm just be use to it, but it's definitely not as difficult as some people make it out to be.
Sit-ins are still popular around here as they offer more protection from the elements and are usually faster.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Consider a Hobie Pro Angler Kayak with MirageDrive for hands free propulsion. Expensive but probably the best kayak for fly fishing.

Hobie Cat Company - Mirage Pro Angler

Mirage Kayak by Hobie Cat Company - Product Reviews

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 08-02-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:35 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Consider a Hobie Pro Angler Kayak with MirageDrive for hands free propulsion. Expensive but probably the best kayak for fly fishing.
While I agree with you about it being a sweet rig, I also would venture to say that this crosses out of the 'kayak' territory-- and moves more into the 'boat' category.... 150+ pounds? really? There is no simply throwing this onto your car and launching it wherever.... that is the point of a kayak for me....

I got rid of a 16 foot john boat for this reason. No trailer and I had to load it into my truck-- by the time I loaded it, loaded the trolling motor, and the BATTERY (which weighs more than my whole kayak), got it to the water, unloaded and rigged it all, I was an hour into my fishing trip and I haven't even cast, yet. Now a trailer would've solved the issue, but then you have storage concerns with a trailered boat..... My kayak stands on end in my garage, and literally takes up about 9 square feet of space..... Again-- not really an option with the Pro angler.....

As for my boat, I have an Ocean Kayak trident 11. You might also look into the T-13. I have never wished that I had features that I don't have on mine.

///EDIT// For fly fishing, I have no use for the 'angler' bits on the angler kayaks-- the fly reel prohibits using the flush mount rod holders, I know there are fly rod holders, but I usually only have one (sometimes 2) rod(s) with me, and the one that I am using is in my hand, the one that isn't getting used I prefer is not sticking up at the sky and catching on overhanging branches, or getting in the way of my back cast, etc. I just keep the other rod flat the length of the boat.

//SECOND EDIT// The Native 12 is a fantastic boat-- If you have a 'feeling' about that one in particular, don't confuse yourself with other options....

Also, if you are going to be sharing water with other (bigger) boats, I would suggest and conspicuous color-- A camo boat likely wouldn't bee seen by another boater until too late... Along those lines, look into paddles with bright yellow blades or the like.... anything to make yourself more visible to other boats as many of them can be careless....
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post

Also, if you are going to be sharing water with other (bigger) boats, I would suggest and conspicuous color-- A camo boat likely wouldn't bee seen by another boater until too late... Along those lines, look into paddles with bright yellow blades or the like.... anything to make yourself more visible to other boats as many of them can be careless....
I can't tell you how many times I've been out fishing somewhere where powerboats were not expecting me to be and looked up to see one baring down on me, the operator oblivious to my presence.
My only recourse, waving my (white-bladed) paddle above my head until they veer off.

If you watch kayaks moving in the distance, often all you see is the flash of the blades.
When you're just sitting in a kayak fishing, there's little to see especially if the seas are taller than the freeboard of the boat.
I don't blame anyone for not noticing, but you have to be aware of your lack of visibility.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think you're on the right track with the Ultimate 12. I've heard the most universal raves about its combination of maneuverability, tracking, convenient interior, stability and light weight.

That said, the Jackson Coosa does indeed look very appealing as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I have a U12 and we just ordered a U14.5 (more space for when our large dog comes along). It is very comfortable and stable - you really can stand up and fish from it. It is easy to get in and out of, plus it affords more protection when the weather turns colder (advantage over a sit-on-top). I guess the latter issue makes more of a difference if you live in the north. If you live in the south (or where cold weather is not an issue) and plan to fish in the ocean, a sit-on-top might be a better option.