The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default a weird experience and claw-dad fly pattern

Yesterday I went fishing with one of my friends to a local stream. In a section of a choppy water, I had a bear plunge. I have a huge scratch on my wrist.
When I got out of the water, in my hand was a clawdad. I do not know when was last time that I caught a clawdad with my hand. Neither do I know that how in the world a clawdad landed in my hand. Anyway that makes me think that fish in Beavers Bend are eating claw dad.
I searched some good clawdad patterns through on-line. I thought that some of them were way time consuming. Do you guys have any good clawdad patterns?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM

vanish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: a weird experience and claw-dad fly pattern

Wow, first time I've heard the term "clawdad" used before.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
Wow, first time I've heard the term "clawdad" used before.
Me too.

A weighted woolybugger is a "close enough"
Proper presentation is more important that a good imitation most every time
Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tie one I'm pretty happy with.
Dan's Crayfish
Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Crayfish mean big meals and big meals usually mean big fish! And nice fly there Dan, once I get my vise I may be tying some of those! I might try modifying it in some red/pink for saltwater as well, redfish and trout looooove shrimp.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

thanks Dan for nice pattern. I will give a shot.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Here's one that's simple to tie. As has been said, presentation is more important than the imitation. This fly is about 3 inches long.
Think of it as a hair jig for a fly rod!

Click the image to open in full size.

Material List: Hook: 1/0 Matzuo Sickle Bait Holder
Eyes: Lead barbell
Thread: Danville Flat Waxed Nylon, Tobacco Brown
Underwing: Natural rusty tan red fox tail over light tan coyote tail, with a few strands of copper flashabou
Overwing: Natural Red Fox Squirrel tail
Tying Instructions: Tied in the style of a Clouser Minnow

The barred looking hair is Red Fox tail, or you could substitute Squirrel tail hair, either dyed Gray Squirrel, or natural Fox Squirrel.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM

Jim thanks
That fly looks like a carp fly working down here really well, although carp fishing is off due to 109 outside.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Here's a carp fly that might work well as a crawdad.

Click the image to open in full size.

The body is a rust colored dubbing I mixed up, it's mostly rabbit fur, and I think there was some fox underfur in there too, not that it really matters. The tail is rabbit & the wing is dyed coyote tail. The eyes are medium brass bead chain.

This fly was tied after reading some discussions on another site about orange being a hot color for carp. It's as yet untested!

I've used various Bonefish type flies as crawdad flies for stream bass for many years, except I tie them in colors that mimic the local craws! This one was tied with that style in mind.