The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Any ideas on where to get a replica made?

Just did some fishing at Standard Rock on Lake Superior and cought a 40 lb lake trout. I want to get a reproduction made but am unsure of where to have it done and what to pay? Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any ideas on where to get a replica made?

Congrats, that's a great catch.

It seems like $13.50 an inch is about standard for fiberglass replica fish mounts.

A good place should be able to use your pictures to produce a quality mount.

The only mount I ever had made was a sailfish from mexico--- the price to ship it, and the cost to build the wooden crate were each more expensive than the actual mount itself.

I've never used these guys, but here's a a link just as an example:
Fish Replica Mounts at Fibertech Productions

Hopefully you'll get a few specific recommendations for shops from folks on the forum that had their mounts done and are happy with the cost, quality of work and the turnaround time.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

What charter service were you using?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Bass Pro actually has a very good replica service that runs about $10 an inch if i recall.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-02-2011, 04:49 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Check these guys out. I had a replica spotted sea trout made last year and it is so realistic! A lot of replicas IMO look like toys. This thing looks like a skin mount. My fish is actually on their site.

Elite Bass Replicas

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

I found Blackwater Fish Replicas online. They do a phenomenal job on salmon and trout. They are going to get my brown trout once I save up enough cash.

http://www.blackwaterfishreplicas.com/site/home.html
Old 08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Artistic Anglers. There are no better mounts available from anyone. Seriously. He does almost every mount for all the Cabela's stores, Reeds in Walker MN, all over the place. He's cheaper than most because he actually has the molds and does them himself. Many will buy them from someone else and paint them. Generally from him anyway. The two best are Mat Yernatich who own Artistic Anglers and Ron Lax who Yernatich taught how to do it. He has done mounts for me and they are the best I have.

Artisic Anglers
Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
What charter service were you using?

Duncan Price out of Witz Marina in Skanee Mi. I have family in Skanee and he is a local legend. I have to say he did an awesome job. We were more than pleased and will be booking again for next year. Got us into size and numbers when the fishing was tough and it was awesome to see a conservation minded guide.