The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 PM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough
Default Warranty Cards

Whats the consensus on filling out the warranty card? Do most people fill it out or only when needed so it's easier to sell later on.

I'm a little hesitant to buy a rod thats already registered as I emailed Sage and they told me they only honor the lifetime warranty on the original owner (unless it was a hand me down through the family). I read a few posts where people have said Sage made repairs no questions asked but I have also read they keep a database, which I'm sure they do. I have no intentions of trying to scam a warranty if I break a road but feel like with a substantial investment I like the reassurance of the warranty...forever.

I'm pretty delicate with my gear but that being said I will probably break a rod next time out. So I'm curious if people buy already registered rods or if most people register them right off the bat? My logic is also that on Ebay often times sellers mention the rod comes with a blank warranty card but that really isn't an assurance the rod isn't previously registered.....right?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:56 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Warranty Cards

I personally dont fill them out for the reasons you mentioned.

However I have heard that Sage only charges like $75 if you arent the registered owner. If I can save $300 off retail buying used it is a gamble I will take. For example I got a TXL 3710-3 for $275 when they were going for $550 so it was like new and a warranty card wasnt going to be a deal breaker at that price. If the seller asks for a premium price on a used rod then yes I expect to get one.

I did send a St Croix rod back and paid $100 vs the $50 had I been the registered person. But I only paid $100 for a $220 rod that had been used twice so I still came out ahead in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I recently found the warranty card from a rod that I broke around 15 years ago
I still have the butt end but the rest was stripped for parts and trashed.
Can't help but think I could still do something about it if I had sent the card in.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

I'm also not in the habit of filling in warranty cards,like many others I have plenty of Blank warranty cards for numerous things going back years,however earlier in the year I purchased 2 TFO Rods,one for a friend,one for me & I registered mine online,TfO also has a printable warranty form which is a good way to keep records.
A good idea whether you purchase a Rod,A Blank,a Reel or anything else make up a sheet for the category which you can either store in the computer or print out & continually update.
Also if I were to break a rod I would then fill in the card when returning it for warranty,as I file the receipts when & where I bought it.
Even though I haven't as yet had to use Rod Warranty,from friends & what I read mostly Rod Manufacturers are quite good,some are exceptional,then again it sometimes also depends on the companies Rep.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 AM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough

Ok thanks for the input. I haven't had to use one either yet but figure sooner or later it's bound to happen.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I always fill out and send my warranty cards as well as keep original receipts. I've purchased used rods with warranty cards and filled them out and sent them in after asking where it was purchased (which is generally a question on the card). I've purchased used rods without warranty cards and had to actually get one repaired that I snapped horsing in a King. That was a Loomis and I used the $100 no questions asked expedited shipping replacement because I was leaving on a trip.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I do not send in my Sage warranty cards. By doing that, it keeps any resell value of my rods higher. If I break my unregistered rod, the rod will be registered at the time of the repair.

I do not own any Winston rods, but I know that Winston is strict on its policies. Winston needs the warranty card and a copy of the receipt sent in (postmarked at least) ten business days of purchase. I have sent in rods for some of my customers who forgot to send in their cards to find that they had a $100 repair bill.

Dennis
Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke the folks at Sage after mailing in a warranty card a few years ago. St. Croix sends a confirmation of warranty card receipt, and I didn't receive anything from Sage. The warranty rep told me that Cabelas warranty would trump Sage's (don't know if that's still the case). She also told me that they don't care much about warranty cards: they look to see if the rod had been registered or sent in for repair. If there's no such record for the rod, they assume that the person sending it in is the original owner (exact quote). I asked how much a tip would cost for a second hand Sage, and she told me $60 for the tip, and $50 for the S&H. I'm assuming most breaks are going to be the tip section, so buying a registered rod will only cost you $60 additional. That also assumes you don't break tips too often, but even my wife can't break rods. I've looked over at her rod bent in half many times. If this didn't send me into a panic, I'd show you a pic of a full flex rod!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

The last 2 Winstons i purchased did say to send in the waranty card within 10 days but they did not need a proof of purchase...good thing cause they were both gifts!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 AM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about

I fill them out especially on Winston, Ross, and Lamson gear purchased.

Moe

Last edited by moe b; 08-06-2011 at 05:28 AM.