The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fishing plans for this year?

To Frank :Initially my experience buying my first boat kind of went sour.It took several times to get the necessary documents from Hydeto get my boat registered, etc. ( basically 4 trips to the Sec't ofState until it was finalized. ) I had done quite a bit of research ondrift boats & was actually going to buy a Clackacraft, but it didnot work out. I received a nice DVD from Clackacraft about rowing,etc. & have watched it numerous times. Never got anything like thatfrom Hyde. Please don't get me wrong I'm glad I have the boat.There are numerous rivers in Michigan to float. With a pontoon Imight suggest some of the following : Pere Marquette, Rogue, Pine,White, Ausable, Flat, just to name a few. I might suggest also theMuskegon, but it is quite wide & the wind maybe a factor with alight pontoon boat. The rivers here are awesome, enjoy.Tie One On
Old 02-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on View Post
To Frank :Initially my experience buying my first boat kind of went sour.It took several times to get the necessary documents from Hydeto get my boat registered, etc. ( basically 4 trips to the Sec't ofState until it was finalized. ) I had done quite a bit of research ondrift boats & was actually going to buy a Clackacraft, but it didnot work out. I received a nice DVD from Clackacraft about rowing,etc. & have watched it numerous times. Never got anything like thatfrom Hyde. Please don't get me wrong I'm glad I have the boat.There are numerous rivers in Michigan to float. With a pontoon Imight suggest some of the following : Pere Marquette, Rogue, Pine,White, Ausable, Flat, just to name a few. I might suggest also theMuskegon, but it is quite wide & the wind maybe a factor with alight pontoon boat. The rivers here are awesome, enjoy.Tie One On
Thanks for the suggestions. I am considering some of those rivers. What model of Hyde did you get? Clackacraft makes a good boat but I like the Hyde low side. They were the first with this style. -----Frank
Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

There is a Hyde shop on my way to the Muskegon River.During my research I stopped there on my home from droppingmy youngest daughter off at college. They had this boat outside &I liked what I saw. I had originally wanted a new one, but this oneintrigued me. I stopped back several times & finally made them anoffer. The Hyde I own is a LH Signature Series, aluminum with thespecial UHM (?) teflon bottom. In the deal the boat came with 2graphite oars, front & rear anchors, two front seats, rowers seat &back seat. A casting brace in front & back & a 6HP Mercury. I'mitching to get out, but most of the rivers are frozen over now.So sometime soon.Tie One On
Old 02-15-2007, 11:46 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

My plans for fishing this year include:
1: Wait for the ice to melt and the water temperature to rise and catch as many spawning crappie as I can. I release most of them and cook a meal or two with the others.
2: Try a beaver pond that I came across on one of my walks. It's just off a trout stream so I hope all the little dimples I saw last fall were trout rising.
3: Explore a new resevoir that was filled last fall. It was put in the middle of a trout stream, so this could turn out to be a great spot.
4: Explore new local waters and find new hot spots.
No plans to take any fishing trips. I live in an area where I can go to just about any type of fishing within a couple hours drive. My favorite places are usually remote areas where noone else is fishing.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on View Post
There is a Hyde shop on my way to the Muskegon River.During my research I stopped there on my home from droppingmy youngest daughter off at college. They had this boat outside &I liked what I saw. I had originally wanted a new one, but this oneintrigued me. I stopped back several times & finally made them anoffer. The Hyde I own is a LH Signature Series, aluminum with thespecial UHM (?) teflon bottom. In the deal the boat came with 2graphite oars, front & rear anchors, two front seats, rowers seat &back seat. A casting brace in front & back & a 6HP Mercury. I'mitching to get out, but most of the rivers are frozen over now.So sometime soon.Tie One On
Oh man, you got a nice boat. Is it equipped with the compartments down the sides? It may only come that way now that I think about it. Drift boats don't work real great with motors but they get the job done. Due to the extrema rocker in a drift boat I would expect it to run nose high with the motor. It has the high sides and you will be able to handle any of the bigger Michigan rivers. I envy your good fortune and all the fun you will have learning to row it.-----Frank
Old 02-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Frank,The entire front seat has storage underneath. The rowers seatalso has a little bit of storage, but just for smaller items. (firstaid kit, fly boxes. etc.)There are encased rod tubes on each side to protect the rods.each tube will hold two rods. There is an open storage areaunder the front casting brace.I've been doing some cleaning & making some additions of myown to keep down the congestion, so as not to have any trippinghazards, etc. ( I used some velcro strips to make holders for anchorrope when not being used & to hold up the gasoline line off the floor)Thanks for the feedback,Tie One On
Old 02-17-2007, 06:39 PM

pea is on a distinguished road
Re: Fishing plans for this year?

Welcome to Macedonia

www.fishingmacedonia.blogspot.com
Old 02-19-2007, 10:07 AM

rm1812 is on a distinguished road

Heading to Yellowstone this summer, about 6 six after our first baby is born. Should be an interesting trip

Rob
Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Plan on fishing The Allagash and Baxter park areas all summer.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

This summer I'm going visit family in Louisiana so I hope to get into some Red Fish and Speckel Trout.

Here in Colorado I plan on fishing more this year then I got to last year. I'm going to consentrate more on small streams and try places I never been to before.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*