The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fishing plans for this year?

I was just curious what fishing opportunities folks are anticipating once we hit spring and summer? Kansas is warmwater territory, so I'll be fishing for those species.

As for myself, I've got several things I want to try:

1. Wipers--there are a couple of lakes stocked with these within an hour's drive. I'm hoping to get one that takes me into my backing. Never caught one on a fly.

2. Carp--never tried this either but have some potentially good places to give this a shot

3. Exploring a new pond-- As some of you know, I'm a priest and monk.This year during deer season I was hunting some property the monastery owns and decided to do some exploring. I stumbled across a pond that none of the monks but our business manager knew about. It's well off the beaten path and probably hasn't been fished by anybody, unless they were willing to take a long hike and jump several fences. I'm not even sure if it's got fish. If it does, I've got a place to fish all to myself.

4. I'll be heading to southern Michigan/southern Ontario for family visits this summer. A trip to a smallmouth stream in Michigan and a shot at pike in Ontario are probable. Now, if I could just tempt a relative to drive up to the Au Sable for a day or two . . .
Old 02-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fishing plans for this year?

Hi Flyfisher, Ok, what is a Wiper?--------Frank
Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
It's a cross between a white bass and a striped bass. They take a fly well, and like most hybrids they can really fight. Looks alot like a striper, but deeper bodied and bands are not solid. Fun, fun!!

Back to the original question. I'll be fishing my local waters every chance I get. But my big plan this year is to head down to a friends place in Cape Coral, Fl and fish for 10 days in mid June. Snook, redfish, trout and hopefully little tunny on his boat, and then 2 guided days for tarpon. I can't wait. Look out tarpon!! I'll also take a few long weekends chasing steelhead.

Flyfisher, go after the carp. You won't regret it. They are a blast!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm going up to fish the LMF in a coupla weeks to fish the one fly tourney up there. I plan on making it down to the Rockport area to fish sometime this spring, and things look good to squeeze in a day on the Dream Stream section of the South Platte sometime as well. I've some local ponds and streams that are a nice bike ride away, and I plan on making that a regular occurence.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

In less than a month I will be going for bones, tarpon and snook in Puerto Rico. YES! And, there is the possibility of me heading down to Rockport-Fulton of the Texas coast for reds and speckles.In July, I will head into Colorado to fish the Conejos and maybe later on in the summer. Of course, I have all my local streams that I will be fishing once they become accessible.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Yoffione pretty much hit it on the head. I caught a smaller one (2-3 lbs) on spinning tackle years ago and that in itself was a good fight.

I may be wrong about this, but I understand they take on the habits of the white bass side--but get some of the size and a lot of the fighting traits of a striper. Maybe not quite as big but Kansas's record is still something like 22 lbs.

The talk of redfish reminded me that I'd left off trying to catch a freshwater drum (a cousin). I've always found them a fun fight, but never specifically targeted them with a fly rod.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road

I'm planning a week in the Weminuche wilderness; a week in the Wind Rivers; 5 days at my "secret spot" here in Colorado; along with my regular forays to local waters.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:25 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I purchased a Hyde drift boat right before Christmas &I am planning on experiencing a lot of new water thisspring & summer.I am hoping to hit the St. Joseph, Dowagiac, Muskegon &hopefully the "holy water" in Michigan, the AuSable.I cannot wait to try "new water". I've been tying a bunchof new patterns for trout, panfish, smallies, steelhead, etc.Tie One On
Old 02-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on View Post
I purchased a Hyde drift boat right before Christmas &I am planning on experiencing a lot of new water thisspring & summer.I am hoping to hit the St. Joseph, Dowagiac, Muskegon &hopefully the "holy water" in Michigan, the AuSable.I cannot wait to try "new water". I've been tying a bunchof new patterns for trout, panfish, smallies, steelhead, etc.Tie One On
Hi tie one on, I am thinking about going up to Michigan this year. Wanted to go last year but had a few health problems. I worked in Graying in 1962 and fished the AuSable quite a bit. Maybe you can help me pick some good water. I fish mostly from my pontoon boat but can wade easy bottoms. Did you ever get any information on rowing your Hyde? I have a tape that I got from Hyde. The title is "How to Row a Drift Boat" by LaMoyne Hyde. It is very good and covers all of the basics. Since you bought a boat, you should be able to get the tape.---------Frank
Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

If the forest fires permit, unlike in 2003, I am going to the Kootenai in Montana, with maybe a side trip, going or coming back, to the Madison.