The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 11:31 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Fishing Expo's/Shows

Good Wintery Day to All,The snow is falling rather heavily at the moment in Grand Rapids,Michigan, but had a simple question to offer up for discussion.( Most all of our rivers are frozen over, so no steelhead action tillthey thaw a bit. )Do you typically attend FlyFishing Expo's/Shows in your area ?We, here in Michigan, will be having one in Warren, MI in early March &this is the first year I will be able to attend. ( Recent years somethingalways came up keeping me from attending. )If you attend, do you attend to purchase equipment ?Do you go to gather ideas for tying ?Do you attend casting clinics while there ?What are you thoughts, or maybe suggestions to do while at an Expo ?Tie One On
Old 02-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Fishing Expo's/Shows

The expos are great. Most of them anyway. They are a great way to catch up on the latest and greatest products and ideas. I have done all the things you asked about, and enjoyed most.

I am usually tying so I don't get to play as much as I'd like. Walk around an talk to the tyers, they are a great source of info, whether it be about tying or the fish they are catching with the flies. Especially if you have a specific technique or style you are after. Don't be shy about asking someone to help you with it. If they don't know they will most likely know who will. Our local expos are located so we can get out and fish afterward (mid april) and I usually end up taking a few new and old friends for a float. Good times.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Hi Tie! I was born in Grand Rapids, still have family up there, so I know what you mean. Expos are fun and a bit warmer than ice fishing. Nothing beats getting out on the water, though.My son and some buddie sare driving up to Cadillac this coming weekend for some ice fishing for Northerns. He want's me to come along, but I think I'll stay here and catch some more Tennessee Tarpon. (See other post)

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tye one on, when I was in Washington State I always went to the show in Portland, Or. Lots of things to see and all the rod and reel makers are present. I saw Lefty Kreh demostrait casting and picked up several good pointers. The shows are well worth the money and time.--------Frank
Old 02-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoffione View Post
The expos are great. Most of them anyway. They are a great way to catch up on the latest and greatest products and ideas. I have done all the things you asked about, and enjoyed most.

I am usually tying so I don't get to play as much as I'd like. Walk around an talk to the tyers, they are a great source of info, whether it be about tying or the fish they are catching with the flies. Especially if you have a specific technique or style you are after. Don't be shy about asking someone to help you with it. If they don't know they will most likely know who will. Our local expos are located so we can get out and fish afterward (mid april) and I usually end up taking a few new and old friends for a float. Good times.
Hi Yoffione, please tell me how you are getting paragraphs in your post? I have tried several things but to no avail.----Frank
Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Yoffione, please tell me how you are getting paragraphs in your post? I have tried several things but to no avail.----Frank
Hey Frank, it was tricky at first. Every time I would "preview post" it took out all of my spacing and put it right at the end of the last sentence, no spaces. I then would have to go back and correct. I just don't "preview post" and it leaves it alone. It got real messy when I had photos attached, but not previewing fixed it. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hey Frank, it was tricky at first. Every time I would "preview post" it took out all of my spacing and put it right at the end of the last sentence, no spaces. I then would have to go back and correct. I just don't "preview post" and it leaves it alone. It got real messy when I had photos attached, but not previewing fixed it. Good luck!
Thanks for the input. It still doesn't work for me.--------Frank
Old 02-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The expos are great. Most of them anyway. They are a great way to catch up on the latest and greatest products and ideas. I have done all the things you asked about, and enjoyed most.I am usually tying so I don't get to play as much as I'd like. Walk around an talk to the tyers, they are a great source of info, whether it be about tying or the fish they are catching with the flies. Especially if you have a specific technique or style you are after. Don't be shy about asking someone to help you with it. If they don't know they will most likely know who will. Our local expos are located so we can get out and fish afterward (mid april) and I usually end up taking a few new and old friends for a float. Good times.

I feel your pain. For some reason, I hate tying in public, but I was asked real nice and several times (they want women tiers) so I will be tying from 5 to 8 Friday night at the Utah Expo. Haven't got a clue what to tie, but I can tell you what I won't tie....SIZE 32's. I need peace and quiet when I tie those LOL
Old 02-20-2007, 10:17 AM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough

I go just to try out all the new rods and new lines. Many rod manufacturers are there and usually have a place to try a little casting. It's a great place to compare alot of different rods before putting down a good chunk of change on one.
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Old 02-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

I had a great time 2 weeks ago at the Arlington show. I got to meet Mr. Joe Humphreys'. He is an extrodinary man. Very lively and full of information and can tell the best jokes and stories imagineable in fly fishing. I really enjoyed visiting with him and watching him cast. If you get the chance you should take his casting class that they are offering at the shows. He told me that this may be his last go around for the show so I would take advantage of it if you can.

Lots of vendors, guides, tyers, etc to see. I had a chance to represent the Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation in its booth and was very impressed with the number of people willing to support the conservation of our river.

If you are just starting out fly fishing it would be a great help to you to visit the show to expose you the products and services that are available to you in fly fishing.

Later,
Terry