The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Loop Leader Snags

Hi, I would guess this has come up before, I finally had a chance to get back to the creek, which was good with several sunfish caught. I decided to try a slip on loop connector on my flyline and the looped leader, I was running into the problem where the leader would get caught on the connection point. is there a way to fix this. this didnt start happening till the end of my session, so i am guessing casting is to blame.
mike
Old 08-05-2011, 12:09 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Loop Leader Snags

Just open your loops up a bit. Should solve the problem.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 AM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

I love using loop to loop connectors, but they do tend to be a snag point. And yes, as you improve your line handling technique the loop to loop snags will diminish. After a while you will learn not only to develop vertical casting loop clearance, but also horizontal casting loop clearance. And then when you think you have it all mastered, the wind will pick up and prove you wrong I suspect you can add some product to the knots to smooth them out.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

A very small drop of UV Knot Sense on the spot will smooth out the hitch.
Love this stuff.
Working on the cast is on going.....

Jim
Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

didnt have the issue the first hour it was fine, then i noticed the end fray a bit then it got alot worse, i may try to cote the connection in a epoxy to get me by for a bit, i do notice that this stuff flys a bit differnt compared to a nail knot leader. this was my first time using 6x leader also, I had been using 1x and 0x.