why fish

fly n00b

Reaction score
i sure we've all been asked this question WHY FISH? i get this question a lot especially when its extremely cold out and i don't catch a thing. when confronted with this question i generally take a dramatic pause and say "why not." but really its a reason that i think most people find hard to understand. its about trying to be a TRUE ANGLER, about being out in nature and leaving your troubles at your car, about learning something new every time you cast your line, and you can't forget the chance that the next fish you catch will be a monster. the reason i say this is because i want ya'lls opinion on the Question WHY FISH, so that next time i will be better prepared to make the "non-believers" believe.

Joni

Reaction score
Some great reasons that I agree with. Most people know that I am the outdoor kinda gal.
I get the crap all the time fishing in the winter, but I tell them it's time to go wash out my brain, and Fly Fishing is the best way I know to forget about everything.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I agree with most all of y'all's reasons, and just want to add that I find moving water exciting, theraputic, calming, and beautiful all at the same time. The way it moves around rocks and creates swirls and riffles and bubbles and flat spots amidst turbulence is just infinitely appealing to me.

tie one on

Reaction score
Not sure how others feel about my answer but :Anytime I have the PRIVILEDGE to be out in HIS creation,- to see the beauty & majesty around me- to be able to clear my mind of everything else- to be able to give HIM thanks for what I see- to be able to CATCH FISH !Tie One On

Reactor

Reaction score
I really find it odd when someone asks a question like "Why Fish?". Do they also ask people odd questions like why play sports or why watch a movie? One answer that really can work out well is to invite them along to try it. Once they experience the outing they usualy will know why.
Another answer would be to ask them a question back; why walk along a stream on a beautiful morning, why spend a day on the water, why challenge oneself.
I feel ceartain that each of us should take the time to answer anyone that asks the question and look at it as an opportunity to convert a non-fisherman into someone who would support our sport.
Why fish? Because, I live.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I posted my answer to another post but thought it applied to this post. So here it is: fly fishing is not all about catching fish. In some cases it is not the most efficient method but it is almost always the most enjoyable. Let me tell you why I fly fish for trout and salmon. Fly fishing is about being in some of the most beautiful spots in the world with no one but your best friend. It is about catching the biggest fish of your life and you are the only one who knows it. It is the feeling you get when you release a monster fish and it returns to its run. You rinse your hands and think, damn that was a nice fish and what a fight. It is about losing the next monster fish that takes your size 22 nymph. It is about catching a tiny little fish that you never forget because it took the first fly you ever tied. It is about sounds, sights and feelings that only comes from fly fishing. But of all the things I love about fly fishing for trout, the best is my fishing partner of 33 years. All of these things we have shared together. I would give away my bass boat if I could fly fish one more time with my friend.-----Frank

makubwa

Reaction score
Fish because that is what we are most at home doing.
'For thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they comfort me' - Psalm 23 .. I feel closer too this when I am fishing.

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score
Not sure how others feel about my answer but :Anytime I have the PRIVILEDGE to be out in HIS creation,- to see the beauty & majesty around me- to be able to clear my mind of everything else- to be able to give HIM thanks for what I see- to be able to CATCH FISH !Tie One On

+1

I totally agree!

BigCliff

Reaction score
While fishing the LMF yesterday morning as it was bright, cool, and clear, with a limestone cliff in front of me grander than any pipe organ, and the sun shining on a congregation of organisms dressed in its finest, I thought of another reason: God makes much prettier churches than men do.

onthefly

Reaction score
I feel it's the one opportunity in life when you can really breathe. Unfortunately we get so caught up in everthing else around us on a day to day basis, like work stress, deadlines, financial responsibilities, family obligations and any thing else that comes are way. When I finally get on the water everything slows down a little bit, it clears your mind and you can relly can breathe, you notice every little sound/smell and everything seems at peace. Then when you have to tackle alll those other obligations it makes it that much easier. All you have to do is close you're eyes and remember that last time on the water and you can almost hear the sounds and smell the fresh air and it just makes everthing ok and that much easier. I feel for those who truely don't have a outlit like fishing.