The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: o mykiss's picture thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
love this! great pics and stories
cant wait to see/hear about your pike trip.

casey

thanks casey.

i did not get to go pikin', obviously....

but i'll be heading to a nice spot today.... i drove by it yesterday and saw some FATTIES sipping little mayflies from the surface.... a bunch of rainbows... a few cutthroat and one huge brown that refused to come up for any of the bugs... he was probably waiting for me to show up with my streamer today.... hopefully they'll still be there...
Old 08-25-2011, 04:28 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

well.... i went to the spot that i had previously mentioned and there were swimmers there.... so i went to a different spot....
there's a fire near town right now.... it was on my way to that fishing spot.... i took a coule photos:

Click the image to open in full size.

this helicopter was getting water right from the river.... the very river that i was gonna be fishing in... it was pretty cool to see up close:

now for some scenics:

such awesome water..... you could see the fish flashing in the water... some huge suckers in there too.... they'd be fun to foul hook...

oh my.... what a nice section....:

some more nice water...:

there weren't much bugs in the air and the fish would only rise every 5 or 10 minutes... but they were looking up. i'd cast and i'd see them come up from below just to turn away at the last millisecond... i probably said "cmon cmon cmon DANG" a dozen times....

but not all fish turned away from my offerings... :

a little guy. maybe 10 inches:

the following fish were all over 15 inches... all came up for a size 14 elk hair caddis.... supposed to mimic spruce moths this time of year...

i know, i know... they all look the same. sort of:

this was the biggest. 17 incher:

not bad for 35 minutes of fishing.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Glad to see you finally got out again! I sure wish they could snuff that fire but unlikely...it's nasty in town. Quite a few years ago a fire started on Mt. Jumbo, I was fishing the mouth of the Rattlesnake and a chopper came dipping water out of Clark Fk between the Madison and Orange St. bridges!

Nice fishes! I gotta get up there!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Glad to see you finally got out again! I sure wish they could snuff that fire but unlikely...it's nasty in town. Quite a few years ago a fire started on Mt. Jumbo, I was fishing the mouth of the Rattlesnake and a chopper came dipping water out of Clark Fk between the Madison and Orange St. bridges!

Nice fishes! I gotta get up there!
Thanks dean. Yea, i remember that fire... i remember the ashes on my black car when i left work in the evening.

YES YOU GOTTA. it's very consistent right now. the clark fork is hit and miss and the upper bitterroot is too far of a drive for me.... so is rock creek.

blackfoot is the spot.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful places to fish!thanks for sharinglooks like more and more people use Brodin nets
Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The colors of the first of the 15"+ fish are my favorite of the bunch. The picture of the helicopter picking up water is really awesome as well.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 AM

hello all!

i went fishing yesterday evening (11/6/11) for about 2 hours... i had both my streamer rod and my dry fly rod with me... when i got there, it was ripples galore on the surface so my obvious choice was the dry fly rod.... the hatch was very small blue wing olives. a lot of the risers were smaller trout in the 8 to 12 inch range and every once in a while, there would be a loud KERPLOOP!.... after catching a few (more like 10) small rainbows and cutthroat, i waded in deeper to get a little more distance.... the bigger risers where all on the opposite bank....

a couple scenery shots:

very slow, clear water:

sunset:

i didn't know the big fish on the opposite bank were BROWNS! and i didn't even have to use my streamer rod... this one maybe 18 inches:

another brown! on a size 18 BWO!... about 16 inches:
Old 11-07-2011, 06:21 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

This is a great thread, Beautiful pics.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

I love when I am right ..this thread is great
Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Neat picture of the fish among the rocks. I'm thinking of tying up some BWOs for the winter, I wanna get in on this dry fly game

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...