The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default o mykiss's picture thread

so i've decided...instead of creating a new thread everyday, i'm just going to have ONE ongoing thread to which i will keep adding photos and blurbs.

feel free to contribute!

today (8/5/11):
some scenery:
Click the image to open in full size.

fishing was kinda slow.... maybe because it rained yesterday and a little this morning. i've been told by bass fishermen that sudden weather changes could temporarily alter/halt the feeding habits of bass... not sure if it's the same thing for trout...

anyway... i was hitting deep holes with streamers.... felt a strong tug and i set the hook.... it was heavy.... i could tell it was a big fish when i saw it flashing in the water... but i didn't expect it to be...........
a pikeminnow. A HUGE ONE!:

i don't keep track of the pikeminnnow i've caught in my fly fishing career but i think this one could be the biggest one i've ever caught... 23 INCHES!:

i switched to a conehead muddler and after about 15 minutes of casting, i landed this nice rainbow... i'm guessing 15 or 16 inches:

then i had to go back to work.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: o mykiss's picture thread

Keep 'em coming!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

You and your pikeminnows! That's funny, I don't think I have every caught one of those. One time a friend of mine caught a big "squaw" fish while floating the Clark Fk...like 5 pounder big.

What kind of work puts right next to a different river everyday for lunch time fishing? This is one isn't the lower Blackfoot...Chief Looking Glass?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

As I was just saying before about a week ago I had never even heard of the squawfish/pikeminnow, and now we have mykiss flooding the forums with them. Someone protect our salmonids!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

As always great pic's, wish I could invade your waters, might make a few trips since my daughter has decided to go to college here in Santa Cruz I'll now have a house sitter I won't need to pay. My wife and I are happy about getting away a little more just the two of us but my daughter Jenny is pissed. Great fishing!

Rick
Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: o mykiss's picture thread

Omy,

Cold fronts affect bass fishing...after the front hits, the fish become inactive. I've had bass hit like crazy...just before the front hits.

Do those pikeminnows fight hard? I'll catch anything that puts up a fight. Last summer, I hooked a big snapping turtle...felt like a boat anchor that never fought back! I must've draggged that thing 50 yds until it threw the hook...heard the splash and recovered all the terminal gear.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been enjoying all these threads, I'll keep tab on this one.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Nice photos and great looking water! like Ard I'll be subscribing to this thread!! Keep em coming.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
You and your pikeminnows! That's funny, I don't think I have every caught one of those. One time a friend of mine caught a big "squaw" fish while floating the Clark Fk...like 5 pounder big.

What kind of work puts right next to a different river everyday for lunch time fishing? This is one isn't the lower Blackfoot...Chief Looking Glass?
not the lower blackfoot.... just a section of the clark fork.

and i can't disclose my type of work... it's top secret.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
As always great pic's, wish I could invade your waters, might make a few trips since my daughter has decided to go to college here in Santa Cruz I'll now have a house sitter I won't need to pay. My wife and I are happy about getting away a little more just the two of us but my daughter Jenny is pissed. Great fishing!

Rick
i'd like to get out to california and do some fly fishing in the ocean.... i fished once in san diego but we were on a big charter boat and using live baitfish....

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
Omy,

Cold fronts affect bass fishing...after the front hits, the fish become inactive. I've had bass hit like crazy...just before the front hits.

Do those pikeminnows fight hard? I'll catch anything that puts up a fight. Last summer, I hooked a big snapping turtle...felt like a boat anchor that never fought back! I must've draggged that thing 50 yds until it threw the hook...heard the splash and recovered all the terminal gear.

Cheers,

Robert
big pikeminnow put up a decent fight. smaller ones, not so much.... the thing with these fish is they'll eat anything.... i caught a 14 inch pikeminnow once while casting for northern pike... the pike fly i was using was 6 inches long too! crazy pikeminnnow!

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I've been enjoying all these threads, I'll keep tab on this one.

Ard
thank you.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Nice photos and great looking water! like Ard I'll be subscribing to this thread!! Keep em coming.
thank you.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

ok fellow fly fishermen/women... it's been really busy these last couple of days.... i needed a break today (8/10/11) so i went down to the river on my lunch break.... this place is right there by my work place.... steve rajeff could probably drop a fly in the water from the front door of our office....

decided to take my 3wt today, since i was just gonna fish the smaller sections of the river.
some scenery:

this hole looked promising.... it went from ankle-deep riffle to a sudden drop off... i couldn't even see the bottom... it was deep.

i tossed a few dries right over the hole... nothing... so i tied on a nymph and caught this little brown on my first cast:

i released the brown, casted again and got snagged on something.... broke my tippet off.... and then it started raining hard. i scurried back to my car. just when i got inside my car and started the ignition, the rain stopped.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

I got feeling that this thread will be great