The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pike Minnow

Ladies/Gents

Not knowing a lot about the pike minnow outside of the fact they love small fry to eat. I was wondering how damaging they are on the trout population and do you release them back to the water after catching?

Dave
Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pike Minnow

I do recall seeing that some state's DNR has some sort of bounty on pikeminnows to prevent them from devastating the salmonid population. So that has to mean something. However, prior to hearing about them in the past week on this forum, I had never heard of them before :/

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

It is a native fish in western Montana. Though it is predaceous I just figure if it's native then I see no reason to target it. But maybe it is considered invasive in other areas.

Northern Pikeminnow - Montana Field Guide
Old 08-05-2011, 07:42 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I learn something everytime I come to this forum. Even with a batch of (eastern) icthyology courses, I don't remember ever coming across a pike minnow. Thanks for the info!
Gary
Old 08-05-2011, 09:38 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough

I've never heard of a pike minnow before, but I read they can reach 90 lbs...and they are the largest minnow!