The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazed?

I have to add some to what I've already said. I think I've already mentioned these guys before, and If I didn't I should have. This however is the definition of above and beyond the call here. Pocono (Allen) offered to loan my Canadian friend, the "Amazing Natural Caster", his 5 wt. Hardy just so he would have a quality rod to try and see how he did. This a pretty expensive new rod only used when he went to France and fished with JP. My friend decided not to because he's leary of using other peoples stuff, I think he's worried he'd break it or something but the offer is a very generous one. I tip my hat to you Alen, you are a great guy. Next is WJC (Jim), who when I posted I was having problems with my backing going all squirrely from casting far with almost the whole line. WJC knew how to fix the problem, but went again above and beyond by sending me the stuff to fix it. By the way, the casting advice he's given my Canadian friend is as he says "Golden".

We certainly are lucky to have such a great forum and have so many great members on it. Amazing.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to thank the new members. The regulars are always good for some valuble info but the new members challenge me to keep it simple. I think before I type when I reply to someone with limited experience. Guiding them reminds me that the joy is in the cast, the take, the fight, not how much I'm able to spend on gear.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

As a new member I would like to thank all the members here, seems this bunch is more than willing to freely give away their hard earned experiences to further all our enjoyment on the river or at our tying benches. Thanks guys and gals.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce m View Post
... this bunch is more than willing to freely give away their hard earned experiences to further all our enjoyment on the river or at our tying benches...
So true, and not all forums I have seen are this way either.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I can't pin it down to just one or a few members. Something about the overall makeup of members here just keep me coming back every time I fire up the computer.
Thanks for the great campfire, powers-that-be!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

I just want to say that I caught a weird looking fish on my fly rod, and posted about it here. The guy who holds the IFGA record for that species responded and gave me advice on how to catch 'em. That's amazing to me!

I'm always impressed by the quality of discussion and advice here. I get to share and learn with guys like Len Harris. That's amazing too.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I've been not as active recently and I miss this forum....
I miss the acquaintances that I have made. Contributing to the ongoing discussions, albeit minimally. Most of all, I miss talking fishing.
I recommended a friend to the forum a couple of weeks ago and hearing him talk about what he had learned in just a short time on the forum brought back some fond memories of bugging the heck out of Ard, annoying the devil out of Robert, and the same treatment to countless other members. However, I'm grateful to all for their patience because I wouldn't have what fly fishing knowledge I do have without them.
Thank you Dan for starting this thread. There have been other threads with similar themes, but in my opinion, there are never too many chances to show our appreciation for our mentors...

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i'm gonna keep it simple- any one who has answered any of my questions, commented on my pics or blogs, or anyone else that has responded to my posts....thank you
ard, thank you for all
of your knowledge
milt, i enjoy the word stuff alot
dan, i need to learn to spey cast
mojo, i respect your hard nosed input
frank, your a great moderator
this is atruly wonderful place.

p.s- gary, i love your mini rod tube humidor

casey

ARFE
Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I think that most the members of this forum have more experience than i and they all for the most part have been free sharing it. However....

wait for it.....

you know who it is.....

Ard has been particularly helpful to me. From my perspective, he seems to know all there is to know about our mutual obsession. Plus, he especially adept at putting words to virtual paper.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Ard has been particularly helpful to me. .

And he has that great mustache too!