The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 05:11 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Do you Have a Favorite Fishing Situation?

I have an absolute love affair with medium- small sized meadow meanders. Ten-twenty foot wide, 50-120 CFS, slow oxbow bend, short riffle, slow oxbow bend, short riffle, rinse and repeat. Never was a big water guy.

Chris
Old 08-08-2011, 05:22 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Post Allen

Having only fly fished since January, my experience is so limited I don't even know yet my likes and dislikes. There is one situation that always brings a smile to my face, finding myself alone with no sign or sound of man and his creations.

Dave
Old 08-08-2011, 09:14 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Well said Dave
Old 08-09-2011, 06:24 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I would love to learn that sort of fishing. I see all these pictures of the spots you guys fish and wonder, how do they work a fish in that jumble of rocks??? I'm sure as I get more experience on trout streams rather than the salt flats, I'll start to see the beginnings of those answers!
AJ, Keep a tight line and strip in the fish as quickly as you can.

For me, that's the best way to prevent the inevitable break-offs that happen when the fish has your fly, takes off and finds a rock, log or other submerged object that can either snap or abrade the leader/tippet. And those objects are always close in pocket water fishing. I keep as much pressure on from the initial hook-up as I can; just shy of what I think will snap the tippet and I'm usually fishing 6x tippet on those small freestones streams. I also like to get the fish's head out of the water and facing me as soon as possible; once the head it out, the fight seems to come out of most fish; regardless of size. When I get a fish coming at me looking like a surfboard, then I know that he's headed straight for my net.

Pocono
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Thanks for the suggestions, I hope to get a test of them soon!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

For me it would have to be standing on the casting deck of a flats boat and watching a set of 20+ Tarpon pop out of the creek and come cruising across. Like being stuck on the tracks with a freight train barreling down on you. It ends in the thrill of a lifetime or a complete train wreck!! LOL.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-09-2011, 07:23 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Hey Allan,
This is a great post.
You are truly a guy after my own heart. Small stream brookie fishing is my favorite.
I know that its been said that brookies are the easiest of the trout species to catch and maybe so. However, I get more enjoyment just being in those secluded mountain streams where few dare to believe there are fish. Its the experience and adventure of small stream brookie fishing that keeps me longing for those tiny, overgrown, unadulterated streams.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters...
Seth

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I know what you mean Davo, having a bunch of tarpon looking like Olympic swimmers coming toward your bait and the anxious waiting for one of them to take it ranks pretty high on the list!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

I am for the small to medium streams also. They are all so different; even the same stream a month later can be a new experience. Around each bend is a new challenge and a new fish. The adventure of finding new gems to fish in out of the way places is a blast. Some of these streams are in ranch land where lower down they completely disappear into field irrigation. You wouldn't even suspect that there is a great trout stream just up in the hills a ways. The scenery is awe inspiring, the solitude and silence is thunderous, and the fish are amazing! What is not to like??
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Skinny pocket water with a dry here too, Pocono. Not necessarily crazy about the overhangs or risky rock hopping. It's more about the target casting, and no drag drifts for me. I could do it all day (and have).