The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you Have a Favorite Fishing Situation?

Last week I was fortunate and landed some really nice trout while back on my home waters in the Poconos. But, when I relate my fishing adventures to friends, the first thing that comes out is some small headwaters fishing for native Brookies on one of the feeder streams of Broadhead Creek.

I started early in the morning last Friday and waded my way about 3 miles up from where the feeder empties into the Broadhead. Skinny water, pocket water, lots of overhang and undercut banks. And lots of Brookies.

I fished, exclusively, a #18 cream elk hair caddis and it was the right fly for the day. Pitching into the heads of the undercuts, the backs of boulders, the bases of small waterfalls, under the foliage on overhanging Rhodies. Whenever I hooked a fish, it was like my first one; just a lot of fun.

Largest fish of the day was, I think, about 8", which isn't bad for a native, feeder stream Brookie.

This is definitely my favorite kind of fishing; and probably always will be.

What's your favorite fishing situation?

Pocono
Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you Have a Favorite Fishing Situation?

For me, there's nothing more exciting than fishing in the surf

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

My favorite kind of fishing is whenever I head home to visit the parents in Sarasota, FL and get to go out fishing with my dad anywhere, saltwater or freshwater. Even if we don't catch anything, it's just great to get to fish with the person who passed his favorite hobby on to me. I hope that this year he'll get to come fish the steelhead run with me in NY!

If I'm fishing alone, I just love a good day spent shooting for the salt slam: reds, trout, and snook!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

I'm with Rip Tide, love the spray in my face.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Absolutely

And it involves an atlantic salmon and moi.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 08-08-2011, 04:42 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Yes I do, one is scenery and animals

The other situations is miles of solitude with no cell reception. The guy in the photo is my father so his company is ok
Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

A day on my favorite spring creek, where numerous flies and techniques have come to fruition, as well as landing some really great browns and cutts over the last 8 years.

Here is what it looks like:

And, here is what we catch:

I haven't been able to fish my favorite spring this year due to my ankle problems, but perhaps this week I'll finally be off crutches and able to look forward to a trip to the spring sometime by the end of August - CAN'T WAIT!!!

Kelly.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Allan,

I would have to say; water not too low, not too high, with a good number of silvers in the river. it's silvers right now but this goes for all the salmon species, steelhead, and of course all those years of trout fishing in the mid Atlantic States.

I've caught them in drought conditions and likewise in high water but ideal river / stream flow levels has to be my favorite situation. Along with adequate numbers of fish; I can put up with wind (up to 85 mph) rain (sideways with the wind) and even the occasional brown bear but still it's all about the flow rate.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but I love tight line nymphing in the places that most fly fishers pass up...the seems and pockets in a rock garden. I love the challenge wading these areas of fishing systematically through each likely fish holding spot.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:08 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I would love to learn that sort of fishing. I see all these pictures of the spots you guys fish and wonder, how do they work a fish in that jumble of rocks??? I'm sure as I get more experience on trout streams rather than the salt flats, I'll start to see the beginnings of those answers!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...