The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough
Default Driving me nuts

Had a great day on the Farmington river today. Saw a bald eagle fly by,very cool. Fish were taking something from the surface, but not my flies. So frustrating to see them and not get a strike. Oh well,thats how it goes. Maybe I need to expand my collection of flies, or tippets? Probably just presentation skill. I floated my fly by the spot I saw one fish feeding by casting up stream,down stream,from the side. No luck, but had a great day. I did catch one thing though, a sunburn. Silly boy.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving me nuts

Josh: If you have a fly shop nearby you might check with them to see what is hatching. Sometimes when you see rises, the fish are not taking adults off the surface but rather emergers in the surface film. It would really up your odds if you knew what was hatching. When I travel to a new area I like to stop at the local fly shop, ask a few questions, get some idea on what patterns are working and for the help I always buy a few flies from them. The knowledge they can provide will often be invaluable on making or breaking a day on the water, especially if you know nothing about the bugs hatching. Sometimes you can up your odds by using a dry dropper setup, tie on a dry to the tippet and then tie off 12-16" of tippet to the bend of the dry fly and then tie on a small nymph or emerger pattern.

Larry
Old 06-18-2010, 11:58 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

Thanks Larry. Sounds like good advice. Will try that next time.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:53 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

When fish are rising and you can't find the right fly stop and take a look at the water around you for bugs on the surface or bugs hanging in the film. A fine net (seine) can be really helpful for this purpose. If I can't find bugs on the surface around me I've been known to wade out to the feeding lane, seine water passing through the lane, and then inspect the net for collected bugs.

Usually the winning fly answer is the most predominant bug in the net but I have had occasions where there were two bugs in the net and the fish were hitting the less abundant bug. In one example it was two spinners, one white bodied and one mahogany bodied, the mahogany bodied spinners were 2 or 3 to 1 more abundant in the net so I started throwing an exact size/color match mahogany body mayfly. After being completely ignored for many casts I quickly discovered that the fish were hitting the white bodied spinners.

There are commercial nets available (one example is “Quick-Seine”) or you can create your own with window screen material or other fine mesh material.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Thats an interesting idea. Gonna try that. I was trying to match the colour of the bugs that were hopping around the water,but to no avail. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:29 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

What fly/flies were you using? Some flies are more universal than others when you aren't sure what's hatching. My 3 main dry flies are Adams, Light Cahill,
and Blue Wing Olives. One of the 3 will usually work when there are small insects hatching. I also use little foam or deer hair beetles, and they work great for warmwater fish. A #6 Madame X always gets nailed by something.

Pulling a dry fly under can work miracles, even of the fish appear to be taking flies off the surface. Let the fly land, and give it a light tug so that it's just below the surface 1-3 inches. You'll usually see the take even when the fly is under, so don't worry about that.

If you're fishing 4X tippet, and still not getting any takes, go down to 5X. I was never one to use fine tippet before, eventhough I've carried 7X for the past few years. I usually start at 5X now, and go finer if needed. Go smaller on the fly size as well.

This might seem like a big fly, but it's a #18 Blue Wing Olive on 6X tippet:

Click the image to open in full size.

There was a BWO hatch, and the real insects were much smaller than a #18.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the pic and the advice. No idea the names of the flies. Visually tried to match them. Finer tippet makes good sense.