The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 AM

resistance is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for fishes in specific areas

Hi there!

I am from Holland, my english is not very good, I am sorry for that.

Currently I am building an educative fishing game. In this game you can travel to different areas and try to catch some fish. You will learn how to use wich bait and rod. When you catch a fish a window will popup with background information about that fish. So you will learn while you play ;-)! I want to have for each "type" of area 10 different fishes to begin with. However, I struggle to find fishes for three different areas/water types:

- Polar area
- Desert area
- Marsh area

My question is: do you know fishes that live or can be found in the areas above? A name is enough for me. When I got a name I will go to the library and will find some background information about that specific fish. I would realy appreaciate it if you guys can help me out with this .

Thank you very much for your time!

Kind regards,

Ruud
Old 08-11-2011, 11:25 AM

troutbum bk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for fishes in specific areas

may I suggest the catagorys
-saltwater
-cold water
-warm water

Ben
Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Ruud, welcome to the forum and good luck with developing your new game.

Here are some suggestions for you to consider ( you should be able to find loads of info about sportfishing for each of these species using google)

Polar:
Sheefish (also called "Iconnu"), scientific name Stendous leucichthys nelma
Arctic Char, scientific name Salvelinus alpinus
Grayling: Thymallus arcticus arcticus

There are also Atlantic and Pacific salmon, Lake Trout (Salvelinus namaycush), northern pike and saltwater fish such as cod, halibut in far northern regions.

Desert:
There is a spectacular sport fishery in Eygpt on Lake Nasser formed by the Aswan dam on the Nile River inhabited by such fish as:
Nile Perch, Lates niloticus, which can grow to over 200 kg (400+ lbs)
Tigerfish, Hydrocynus forskalli, fish with huge teeth that grow to 15 kg (30+ lbs)
Vundu catfish, Heterobranchus longifilis, that grow to 50 kg ( 100+ lbs)

Marshes:
You have a lot of choices, but taking the mangrove swamps of the southern
Florida "Everglades" as just one example there are a number of excellent game fish including:
Snook, Centropomus undecimalis
Redfish, Sciaenops ocellatus
Tarpon, Megalops atlanticus
Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Mark has already mentioned some of the fish I was thinking about ....could you tell us more about your game?looks like an interesting idea.