The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 AM

redyote is on a distinguished road
Default Help Finding Equipment

My wife has asked if I would teach a beginners class for our homeschool association. I am excited by the thought of helping local kids find a love for fly fishing. There is a problem. We live in NW Tennessee...aka no fly fishing, no fly shops, etc.

I need to find a way to get a few cheap combos suitable for kids. I was thinking Cabelas three-forks combos, but wanted to get opinions. I will try to get them casting a little and find some ponds stocked with bluegill for field-trips.

We may try some basic tying too, but I don't have a clue where to get a few cheap vises.

BTW, I am in NO way qualified for this. I'm a small creek bass/redeye/bluegill fisherman, not a certified instructor, and completley self-taught. I'll make no money from this, it is 100% free. So please overlook my ignorance if it becomes too glaringly obvious.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Finding Equipment

When I started running a fishing school in the 80's I sent a letter to different makers and big shops explaining what I wanted to do and asking for help...I got several rods,reels,vises and tying materials...didn't forget to thank and mention them when I wrote an article about how to run a fishing school in a wellknown magazinehave a try...you never know
Old 08-12-2011, 11:06 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

There's a local Mills Fleet Farm by me that has a limited selection of fly fishing gear, but what they do have is dirt cheap. Here's a complete starter's kit for $25.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My club has a relationship with the local school for the deaf and I've been a mentor on some of their outings.
The gear that they use has all been donated by club members or found at yard sales or where ever.
It's all older stuff, mostly glass rods and cheap reels. The kids don't care.
We take them to a kids-only pond and make sure that it gets stocked for the occasion. Somebody brings a grill for burgers and dogs.
It's a lot of fun
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Check to see if there's a local TU or FFF chapter in your area; they may be able to help you out.

Dan
Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

also if this is going through some sort of club, or business you may want to contact cabelas and see if they would give you a discount since your doing it for a good cause.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 PM

manderson2228 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyote View Post
My wife has asked if I would teach a beginners class for our homeschool association. I am excited by the thought of helping local kids find a love for fly fishing. There is a problem. We live in NW Tennessee...aka no fly fishing, no fly shops, etc.

I need to find a way to get a few cheap combos suitable for kids. I was thinking Cabelas three-forks combos, but wanted to get opinions. I will try to get them casting a little and find some ponds stocked with bluegill for field-trips.

We may try some basic tying too, but I don't have a clue where to get a few cheap vises.

BTW, I am in NO way qualified for this. I'm a small creek bass/redeye/bluegill fisherman, not a certified instructor, and completley self-taught. I'll make no money from this, it is 100% free. So please overlook my ignorance if it becomes too glaringly obvious.
I went with the three forks combo and like it.. Try to spend a little more on the boots. I bought the ones that were built into the waders, they lasted about 10 minutes before I wanted to ditch them.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Check to see if there's a local TU or FFF chapter in your area; they may be able to help you out.

Dan
Yea this is good advice too. My local TU group is awesome i've learned a ton from them.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 PM

redyote is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice. We are in no man's land for fly fishing, so my closest clubs are over an hour away, but they may still help.