The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Simple Flies ?

Good Day/Evening :I know I have asked about favorite trout fly before & thisthread will be a similar question.Do you have any "simple flies" in your box ? There was anarticle in my most recent "Flyrod & Reel" about simple threadflies that are one of the best producers. Do you tie any up ?Does your "go to" box have any of these flies. Mine did not,but I'm in the process of making numerous versions to makethem a part of my arsenal.If you don't, why not try tying some up for the spring season ?If you do have them, or have used them how did they work foryou ? Is there one that "out shines" the rest ?Tie One On
Old 02-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Simple Flies ?

Lots of simple flies. How about midges, soft hackle flies and of course egg patterns. --------Frank
Old 02-25-2007, 11:14 AM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

What about buzzers, these are really simple.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:30 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I have tied a great variety of flies, but have nottied, or seen a buzzer. Is there a website thatmight offer a picture/pattern recipe ?Tie one On
Old 02-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I catch tons of fish on simple flies. My best are soft hackles, marabou minnows, and foam spiders. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------The marabou minnow is tied on a size 10 or 12 streamer hook, has a marabou tail, small beadchain eyes, and chenille wrapped around the hookshank and eyes to make the body. That's it, quick easy and cheap to tie up. Grey, tan, white, chartreuse, and light olive all work well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:06 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Simple Flies ?

take any hook any size...... tie on or superglue some hackle fibers as a tail......add four strands of peacock herl......wrap and superglue/tie down.
toss this out in front of any trout........ FISH_ON!!!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 AM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

The most simple fly I know of is the one that a guy hands you when he's caught enough trout and feels bad for you because you're not catching anything. Ha, Ha, Trout fisherman can be so freindly sometimes.
My go to box usually consists of the typical dry fly patterns. If I'm not catching anything on my flies I will usually try a small purchased one. Nothing simple about making the tiny ones. Big hands and bad eyes don't help.
Simple flies that I use are usually, hariwing dry flies size 12 and 14 and Wet flies size 12 no wings. But, if it starts to get dark out the simple fly maybe the one that's large enough for me to see the eyelet to tie onto.
Streamers are the easiest for me to tie. You can't go wrong. Hackle fibers for a tail, floss for a body, and soft hackle for the wing. Sure you can dress them up with a tag, cheek patch, throat patch, underwing, ribbing etc.. but you can keep them simple.