The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Ever have a bird attack you while fly fishing? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/171456-ever-have-bird-attack-you-while-fly-fishing.html)

outdoorguy36 08-12-2011 05:53 PM

Ever have a bird attack you while fly fishing?

I was practicing casting in the yard when this bird dive bombs my fly in the air . The bird followed it straight to the ground and when i tried to jerk it away it went after it. Then it flew a feet and just looked at me and it was going back and forth making noises.lol

troutbum bk 08-12-2011 05:59 PM

Re: Ever have a bird attack you while fly fishing?

last summer i went flyfishing and some redwinged black birds kept flying a foot above me and would hover there and harass me

ben

troutslayer 08-12-2011 09:53 PM

I've had some bats swooping around on the river right at dusk when I'm waiving a fly around. Always wonder what would happen if he got a hold of the fly!

FrankB2 08-12-2011 10:31 PM

I often have little bug eating birds dive at dry flies, but it was until last month that I caught a duck! :eek: I either posted the story here, or sent it to Ard. :D The duck was just shy of being ready to fly, and I was casting at a shadowy bank. The little sucker splashed out, and grabbed my fly. I had to reel him across the stream (at least 60 feet), and the mother duck was flipping out. The mother duck made the release take much longer, as she was pushing the young duck under water once it was within 15 feet of me. The hook was in the upper part of the beak, and once I was able to get a hold of the leader, it only took a second to get the hook out. My fear was that it was hooked in its tongue! That took swam underwater downstream about 75 feet before it popped back up top. The whole brood gathered back together across the stream, and steamed downstream at full speed. CRAZY!!!!

My wife and I were on the Little Lehigh Creek late last September, and the light was fading fast. The bats were coming out, and I told my wife they were hummingbirds. :D I've had hawks dive out of nowhere, and snatch fish out of the water very close to me. That's a spectacular sight!

TexUte Fly 08-13-2011 12:32 AM

ive never had one attack me from casting, but my dog thought it was a good idea to "hunt" some geese. she comes RUNNING out of the brush with bout 3 of them attacking her. i go over to save her (yeah right) and one of them started to attack me. the 3 of them probably chased us half a mile upstream before they stopped

Guest1 08-13-2011 12:52 AM

I had a Kingfisher land on my rod and chirp like crazy. I dang near had a heart attack.

derek1 08-13-2011 02:49 AM

never had a bird attack my fly but while fishing at Witton Castle in Durham a pigeon landed on my shoulder and just sat there.I dont know if he was a local attraction but it was quite amusing.

gatortransplant 08-13-2011 04:02 AM

Only bird encounter I remember was having a great blue heron try to eat a hooked shrimp I had lost to a dock-line on a private dock. Trespassing went out the window when the bird got itself stuck and I jumped out of the water and ran down the dock and "reeled" the heron in. Like Frank's duck, the hook missed the heron's tongue and I was able to unhook it and it flapped a short distance away and sat in the water watching my dad and I fish. Once its wings dried off, it flew a ways off to return to stalking fish in the shallows.

Rip Tide 08-13-2011 06:31 AM

I backed into a Canada goose nest and got bit in the ass
It's a good thing neoprene is easy to repair

russellb 08-13-2011 07:34 AM

I have had both bats and swallows pick my fly off the water before, never hooked though. On one occasion that involved a 10wt, cooler of beer, dog food for chumming carp and a streak of other bad decisions I might have hooked a mallard in the caboose. As the leader was forty pound test and I could not break it I might have also needed to land said mallard. Again, trying to incriminate myself too much- that was one pi$$ed off duck....