The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 03:58 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default my day today.....

i would post this in small creek/streams but this post deserves a thread of its own.
so last night i got off work at 1 am and woke up unmotivated to go fishing at 10 am. i carefully find a place to park as i see tons of "private property" signs everywhere and this is my first time to this creek. i get out set up my gear and start walking through all the bushes. looks like no one had been there all summer. and there are many great deep slow pools that fish should be holding but i cant get any to bite. i was so mad that i brought my dog with me because all she was doing was splashing and having loads of fun scaring off my fish! but we do everything together and i hadnt taken her out in 2 days (thats like eternity to her) so i let her have her fun. i did have about 1000000000 hits but all from fish about 1" long, nothing big enough to actually bite the hook ha.
well this creek follows the road off and on and we are about 1/2 mile from the dirt road and in the middle of no where. i have to get up off the bank as it was eroded pretty bad and i didnt want to walk through the stream so i decided to just skip the section. my dog had been on high alert for maybe 10-15 min and i was keeping an eye out for whatever she is seeing/hearing. well im walking through all this brush making lots of noise hoping there is no bear or mtn lion around. all the sudden i pop out into a place where a bunch of grass has been pushed down. at first i dont think to much of it but as im about 10ft through this 15ft circle i think to myself this is probably a deer bed but im gonna turn around just because i know the other way is safe. i turn around and what do i see where my path was? a freakin black bear 10ft away. maybe it was its den? who knows. it stands up tall so i challenge it an get big and tall and start to yell (i thought this is what you were suppose to do). when i do the bear charges. my dog is at my side so i grab its collar and do the worse thing i can do... turn and run. i try and bring her with me but she turned and ran AT the bear at this point i know im going to live but i am heart broken that my best friend in the world isnt going to make it. i quickly run to this hill top so i can see the bear/dog. she is barking at it and somehow dodging its every move, gets behind it and bites its continuly. this happends 2 or 3 times. she did get hit once that i saw but the bear turns and runs after about a 2-3 min fight. she starts to chase it away continuing to bark. at this point i start yelling at her to come back, once she finds me she trots up like nothing happend sits down and starts to wag her tail. my dog saved my life today by taking on a bear. i now know i do not need a gun to protect me from wildlife as my dog will do a much better job as long as shes on my side. i head back up to the road and run back to my car which is maybe a mile away. once we get to the car i check on her, no cuts or scratches and her ribs seem fine and she is happy as can be.

this is my dog lucy she is 1 1/2 year old malamute wolf mix and i will never forget her on this day. oh and she is very happy right now as i just gave her a raw tbone steak for a treat.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:17 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: my day today.....

Wow! I'm glad you're okay and your dog. What a story!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

fantastic story.

We had a 1/2 Malamute + 1/2 Timber Wolf when I was a kid. It was raised in Alaska and named Tokalot (not sure of the spelling) which I guess was an Inuit name. He was very sweet and kind, but also very protective.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

What a story. And you are a good story teller. My heart is still racing. I am glad that you and your best friend are ok.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:38 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Awesome dog!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

A great adventure! The getting big thing works for lions, I don't think so with bears...
Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

she is the same. the sweetest dog youll ever meet. but SUPER skiddish. she doesnt let any strangers touch her and she is afraid of anything new. when i go on hikes shell "show" me how to get around the hard parts. and when im with someone she walks in the middle and will go back and forth between people making sure we are ok. and when my family comes in town she because twice as protective over them hardly even letting another dog or person inbetween her and them. growing up my dogs were always loyal but i dont think theyd take on a bear to save me, she doesnt have to be on my side always but she does always have to know where i am and whats going on around me or els she starts to worry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
fantastic story.

We had a 1/2 Malamute + 1/2 Timber Wolf when I was a kid. It was raised in Alaska and named Tokalot (not sure of the spelling) which I guess was an Inuit name. He was very sweet and kind, but also very protective.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
A great adventure! The getting big thing works for lions, I don't think so with bears...

It's what they preach to visitors to Yosemite. Stand tall, wave your arms, and yell.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
It's what they preach to visitors to Yosemite. Stand tall, wave your arms, and yell.
Bear people around here say roll up in a ball, play dead. Bears are notoriously near-sighted. to me standing up and waving says HERE I AM, OVER HERE! Making youself look big works on cats, you CAN make yourself look bigger. Making yourself look bigger than a bear..? <thread hijack mode off>
Maybe they want fewer tourists in Yosemite...
Old 08-14-2011, 05:36 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! Lucy the hero deserves one more steak dinner.