The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Thinking about snakes?

After watching that video, I remember seeing snake lures for bass fishing...why not? It's a meal like a frog or a shiner.

There's a public pond about 25 miles from here...and I saw, on the bank, the longest northern banded water snake. That thing easily went 3-4 feet, if not longer. It was thick...it was well fed.

I remember seeing a snake swim towards the boat ramp at another lake. The snake was swimming parallel to the shore, and I was walking along the bank. Every couple of seconds, the snake would surface...as if it didn't want to be seen. I calmy approached the boaters at the ramp to let them know a snake was approaching, and not to bother it. From my experience, poisonous snakes swimming on the surface will show their backs, while non-poisonous snakes only reveal their heads. I only saw the snakes head...probably a northern banded water snake.

I was once fishing from the bank below a dam. There in the current, approaching me was a northern banded water snake. That snake stayed in the water until I left the area. It was as if the snake wanted to be where I was at, but was patient and waited. There was no nest around where I was standing.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler185 View Post
....or you could do what this guy does....

Fly Fishing - Rainbow Trout Caught on Rattlesnake Fly - YouTube
I did it the other way round... got a baby rattler on a trout fly. Foul hooked him in the body with a green copper john, no vid, but I had a witness. milt.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I just spent last week fishing in rattlesnake country. You just have to be a little more careful and watch where you are walking. Wading staff comes in handy when bush whacking....
Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

My buddy had a copperhead whack at his wader boot a couple of years ago but didn't penetrate the boot. I poked at him with my fly rod (probably not the smartest thing I've done!) and he swam across the river with a pretty good moving current at that point and I don't think he lost an inch in that water! Saw a snake on a rock in some grass awhile back right where I was going to put my backpack. I think he was a water snake? The Savage River has lots of rocks and boulders and full banks covered with boulders (perfect snake country). I am told there are a lot of copperheads along the river but those are the only two I've ever seen there. I'm sure they have probably have seen me! I am very careful where I sit, usually away from the shore on a boulder or rock and very careful where I put my hands. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and use common sense. I once fell getting out of the river into a bunch of rocks and tall weeds and I was scared to death that I would be bit by a snake!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 AM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

It helps to be aware of your surroundings and move slowly. The only times I've come close to being bit was turning over a canoe at the side of a lake I often fish.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:30 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

"It helps to be aware of your surroundings and move slowly." - that's what we do...until we see one and then we quickly move along.

here in SC on the Chattooga river, its an odd outing if we DONT see a copper head. In general, its a major element of crawling around in the brush and we just keep in mind that they ARE there. though not long, they are fat and sassy.

the copperheads I've seen are quite aggressive and the old "don't bother them and they won't bother you" addage is simply not true in our case. These reptiles will come at you from 15 feet or more sometimes if you linger in thier area. It doesn't happen all the time though and if you give room and move along its a non issue. just dont stop and stare..

If nothing else, it thins the fishing crowds some (guide services) in the summer.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:44 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about

If it has a TRIANGULAR head (bad dude) move away as quickly as possible... otherwise .. he may be just watching to see how good your cast is .....

I have had BLACK snakes swim by me in front and in back of me .. NC versions ... and SO WHAT ????

Gordon in NC
Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.....Snakes. When we lived at the Jersey Shore (Ocean City), we weren't too far from the Pine Barrens. There are a LOT of very large snakes in the Jersey Pine Barrens. We belonged to a radio control airplane club, and it was surrounded by woods. Newcomers to the hobby always want to fly as far and as long as possible. That meant they often had planes landing in the woods/brush, and it took a small search party to find one (they aren't cheap). I always ran into a snake on these excursions, and hated it. They never seemed to bother anyone, and if they moved, it was to slither away. I saw some REALLY big snakes out there.

We never ran into snakes until fishing the Neshaminy Creek (and a few in the Delaware River). I fished the Neshaminy when I was younger, and told my wife to simply stand still if a snake swam nearby. It wasn't too long before a two foot snake of some sort swam past me (about 15 feet away), and was moving downstream toward my wife. I know my wife, and considered keeping my mouth shut. When I told her not to freak out when she saw the snake, she freaked out! She began running toward the center of the stream, and the snake did its best to move toward the opposite bank. I kept yelling for her to freeze, but that only made her move more quickly toward the snake. She had nearly reached the opposite bank, and the snake tacked over to the bank she had been standing near originally. Anyone watching this might have thought my wife was trying to catch the snake!

I've run into snakes holding underwater while crossing shallow riffles. I'm not a snake expert, and don't know why they do that. One large snake was very close to my leg, but I moved slowly away, and it simply kept an eye on me. The Delaware River has some REALLY REALLY large snakes that move through the water, but they also change course to avoid humans. My cousin from Long Island visited us when I was around 18, and we had a little 10 foot jon boat in the Delaware. We had to drag the boat past some rocks, and a HUGE snake swam past my cousin. He jumped out of the water like a missile, and landed in the boat. I never saw someone so terrified, and had to laugh. I've never seen a snake swim toward a human, nor move on land toward a human.

When stepping over logs and fallen trees, we toss some pebbles first. Even then, we take a look before leaping. Most snakes we see on land are sunning on a rock, or in a patch of short grass, however. In that case, just walk around. I've only seen one person bite by a snake, and it was a kid that reached into the Neshaminy Creek to grab a large water moccasin. The snake bit the kid's hand between the thumb and index finger, and a camp counselor had to use pliers to pry the snake's mouth off the hand! It was given a new home in the camp's nature center.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

I came within inches of stepping on a rattler a few months ago. A bit scary after I saw him and realized how close I came to him.

I do not like snakes at all, but bears are what scare me.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon in nc View Post
If it has a TRIANGULAR head (bad dude) move away as quickly as possible...
There's a catch to the "triangle rule" in TX. This is our most common water snake by far-

Click the image to open in full size.

Completely harmless, but plenty dangerous looking.

I had a brief fit of immaturity back in April and foul hooked one in the tail. Once connected to the thing I snapped back to adulthood and thought, "****, now what?!?". Luckily he swam over to a cypress root, gave it a hug, and I was able to break him off.

They're generally pretty good cover for baitfish, but I've never been such a fan of those roots!-

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.