The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 09:38 AM

Parrothead2888 is on a distinguished road
Default Quality of Rod and Reel(also a NUB)

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I used to fish a lot when I was a kid then college hit and life started afterwards. I got back into outdoors activities a few years ago and decided to break out my old fly rod this summer for some trout, largemouth bass, and crappie. I a few questions though. I know my rod and reel aren't quality being that they were bought 20 years ago or more and I will upgrade later this year after re-learning technique. But I wanted to know if anyone here knows if my equipment is even worth using or if I should go out and buy new right now. My reel is a Martin model 61 and my rod is a Stingray FR(or PR, it has a scratch) 27 Hollow Glass 3 piece. I have a few pairs of waders from hunting and have flys from long ago which I'll update also.

Also I see string has come a LONG LONG way in years past. My string has been on my reel for over 20 years and needs to be updated. Unfortunatly the rod isn't like the new ones that give you a number to match your string to so I really don't know what # to get. Any help or guidance is much appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Quality of Rod and Reel(also a NUB)

You should find a letter designation on the rod something like HDE or HDH. Go to this chart and look up the letter designation and convert to the number weight. Buy the best floating fly line you can afford. If it was me I would buy a new graphite rod. There are some very good rods available in the $100 to $150 range.

Frank
Old 02-28-2007, 08:38 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quality of Rod and Reel(also a NUB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
You should find a letter designation on the rod something like HDE or HDH. Go to this chart and look up the letter designation and convert to the number weight. Buy the best floating fly line you can afford. If it was me I would buy a new graphite rod. There are some very good rods available in the $100 to $150 range.

Frank
You can very acceptable ones for $50-100 too. Check the on-line auction houses and classified for used ones. I've bought many rods for less than half retail just by dilligently watching for sales. For example, I bought two Cortland CL 4 pc 5-6 weight rods, brand new from a close out dealer, for $35 each. Look them up on line and check the MSRP.

Check out the Full Creel; he may have some used trade-ins or close outs.
Even if your current rod is serviceable, your line certainly isn't. You don't want to buy a new line and then have it not match the new rod you're sure to get. Old fiberglass rods are so heavy compared to today's graphite that I wouldn't mess with it. I've got a fiberglass 8 wt rod I'd give you for cost of shipment, but I don't think you'd want to use an 8 weight for trout. Pretty good for Bass, though.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system