The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Fly line selection

I've noticed that a lot of 4wt. fly line is rated a half size larger than it is. I just received my Z-Axis, 9ft., 4wt. yesterday, and have just been playing with it last night and today out on the lake with some old DT4F. I love the feel of the rod; but, I really want the best line out there for this rod. What's the general concenses on what's best for this beauty?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly line selection

I trust and use RIO, made right here in Idaho. There are a lot of different models. If possible go in to your local fly shop and try several on your rod and cast them.

Kelly.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

There are none that I know of here in the U.P.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX Textured in WF4- you will not be disappointed.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX Textured in WF4- you will not be disappointed.
yup yup yup....just what i was going to suggest
Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I fish a 9'/#5 Z-Axis and have tried a bunch of different lines on it. It does not need to be overlined as with GPX (nice in its new testured version but not on this delicately tipped rod) or RIO Grand. The Airflo Ridge Tactical Trout works well but has a bit too much kick to it for super fine deliveries of dry flies. Wulff Triangle Taper...negative. Z-Axis is an unusual design in that it can deliver with velvety smothness but also generates high line speed for excellent loop formation. To maintain its loop stabiliaty it reqires a fly line with a long head-rear taper combination that will not hinge. RIO Gold is a line that was used in developing this rod and also its replacement, "One". Gold is a perfect line for both of these rods. Another line that fared equally well in my testing was SA's Mastery Expert Distance Taper. Don't let its handle misslead you, this extended head line is a champ for loop stability, reach casting and mending. I have not fished the Sharkskin Trout with this rod but it too has a very sophistaicated taper and, if the hiss and abrasive texture are OK with you, I'll bet this line would work very well too. I appreciate it is hard to try assorted lines on a new rod but the perfect match-up makes a substantial difference and, frequently, it is not your "favorite" line but something entirely unexpected that the rod likes the best.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
There are none that I know of here in the U.P.
Then I would suggest the Rio-Grand line which is listed at one half-weight over for use on faster rods. Here is the link to Rio's website: Rio Grand Fly Line

Kelly.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Every caster is different, and all 4-weights don't weigh the same, so I think, if you can, try different lines and see what works for you.

Also, for roll casting, I like WF, for mending, I like DT.

Randy